Musicians ?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Tron

Re: Musicians ?

Postby Tron » July 24th, 2018, 10:14 pm

I played the handbells in 5th grade. I was so bad the instructor would yell at me and tell me to not participate.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » September 17th, 2018, 9:04 am

Got a great compliment last night . My band did a cover of King Diamonds Eye of the Witch, and Snowy Shaw his former drummer contacted us asking to hear it , and gave us nothing but compliments!!!

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » September 17th, 2018, 3:00 pm

I am a guitarist. I've been playing for 30 years. I've played at open stages, at restaurants, and in a few bands, but not the kind looking for regular employment. Usually just friends and family playing parties and at weddings and fairs. My focus has changed over the decades. Early on, I learned all the classic rock songs and some of their solos. And then in the 90s I concentrated on Eric Johnson, Clapton unplugged, and SRV. With a touch of Satriani but I never could play 100% of any of his songs, except Always with you, Always with me perhaps. I did a lot of acoustic stuff after 2000, and other hobbies crowded out any serious guitar playing. But something seemed to change recently, I setup my Vox amp, Strat, and Logitech pedal and I've had a fun time trying to reacquire some electrics soloing and rhythm skills. I never mastered Crazy Train's solos or Eruption or even Back in Blacks solo, and I've been working my way through those songs. I like almost any guitar music except shred and country. Although I do know Chattahoochie and still play it sometimes. I really dig playing old style surf too. Maybe I'll find the time to record eventually. Rock on fellow guitarists!

djc

Postby djc » September 18th, 2018, 12:29 am

Music to me has always been more of hobby rather than something I professionally pursued but...

I've played piano for over 30 years (since I was like 5). In middle and high school, I was a first chair trumpet most of the time in concert and symphonic band. I also played in a regional concert band. I also play the drums (enough to keep a beat) and the guitar (badly :D ).

Growing up, I would record myself covering popular songs on the piano and keyboard. I still have some of the cassette tapes from 1989, 1990, etc... When I was a little older, I played with several local bands.

In the late 90's, I was heavily involved in the AOL MIDI scene and was one of the higher-rated content providers. In 2000 I released a semi-self-titled instrumental Christmas album on Napster of all things right before it imploded. Since then I have recorded a number of original songs, covers, and backing tracks.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 18th, 2018, 6:39 am

Ozzybear wrote:Got a great compliment last night . My band did a cover of King Diamonds Eye of the Witch, and Snowy Shaw his former drummer contacted us asking to hear it , and gave us nothing but compliments!!!

Congrats! King Diamond and Mercyful Fate rule.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 18th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Been playing guitar for 15+ years. First half was acoustic, electric now. I learned by looking up tabs for songs online via dial up and guitar magazines. But, I get bored of playing others peoples songs, so I just goof around by myself.

Gigged for a very short time at church, but filled with drama, and wasn’t as much fun as I envisioned.

My setup is a tele into a Fender digital amp usually with a handful of pedals.

My favorite singer/songwriter for the last few years has been Brett Dennen.

Return to “Other Media”