Thai Soccer Team

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
David

Thai Soccer Team

Postby David » July 6th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Is anyone else following this story? After I read the team was found I figured it was a matter of time before they were all rescued. The situation is much more dire than that.

1. They’re underneath 1 km of rock.
2. The cave is running low on oxygen.
3. It’s monsoon season so there’s a good chance it’s goong to be flooded.
4. Apparently none of the kids can swim, so they’re trying to teach weakened kids who’re malnourished how to scuba.
5. Even experienced scuba divers have a high risk of danger trying to navigate the tunnel to the entrance of the cave. A former Navy Seal died a couple days ago trying to give them supplies.

It’s pretty unbelievable. It’s gonna be a miracle if any of them manage to get out of there. I was watching some videos of cave diving and it’s very anxiety inducing even if you don’t have claustrophobia, and to make it worse there’s strong currents and the visibility is almost zero due to dirt and debris in the water.

Stalvern

Re: Thai Soccer Team

Postby Stalvern » July 7th, 2018, 12:22 am

There are apparently plans to wait out the monsoon entirely, which would involve keeping the boys alive in there until October. What a horrible situation this is, for that to even be considered. And even if the rescue operation succeeds, I don't see all of them making it out alive. I would absolutely love to be wrong.

David

Postby David » July 7th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Sounds like they’ve either already started rescue operations or are starting shortly. I believe there’s rain forecasted and the lowered oxygen has forced their hand. Elon Musk is allegedly having custom pods being built that could fit through the small areas of the cave that would have oxygen tanks dangling from them where the divers could push them through the tunnels.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 7th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Yes, I’ve been following. The situation seems so scary, but I’m glad to see people coming together to think of some ideas the minimize the dangers.

I’m a good swimming, but just the thought of having to dive in those conditions is terrifying.

I feel like sedating them, and transporting them back in a pod-like structure is the safest bet for the kids, and probably the divers too (than the struggle of keeping the kids from panicking).

scotland

Postby scotland » July 8th, 2018, 9:34 am

New is some have now been extracted. Portions of the passage are walkable, so they gives them an exit strategy in stages.

Its an amazing story in heroism from everyone involved.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » July 10th, 2018, 11:09 pm

Just came on the news: They made it out. They'll have to spend time in quarantine tho.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 11th, 2018, 5:13 am

Beautiful. The world could use more happy endings like this.

David

Postby David » July 11th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Very happy for everyone involved. It’s also worth mentioning again Saman Kunan, the Thai Navy Seal who died in the rescue efforts. I’m happily surprised that there weren’t more deaths.

Return to “Other Media”