Blu Ray Fail

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
pacman000

Re: Blu Ray Fail

Postby pacman000 » August 23rd, 2018, 8:38 am

At the very least they don't remove compatibility with old disks...yet. :twisted:

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 23rd, 2018, 9:13 am

GTS wrote:Blu-Ray players require firmware updates. From the Disney website: "Manufacturers may update their Blu-ray player firmware in order to add new functionality and rectify known playback issues" It's also to detour piracy. When I update mine, it adds/updates apps like Netflix. Not that inconvenient; just connect the player every once in a while and run any available updates. That goes for all modern game systems and television sets. If something needs an update, run the update! It's not a conspiracy. I actually think it's nice to have a product that constantly improves after I buy it, at no cost to me.

As someone mentioned, you can also get the updates via a thumbdrive from the manufacturers' websites.

I agree with you - and I am always amazed to hear about the difficulty others have with updating their hardware because it's always been effortless for me.

The problem comes in, however, is the fact that once these devices are no longer supported, there's no way to ensure compatibility with future Blu Ray releases. So even if the player is still working just fine, you have to go out and buy a new one that is supported.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 24th, 2018, 2:24 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I've been having difficulty using Blu Rays with my PS3 lately because apparently it needs to update the encryption key which requires a system update (which I am doing now). From what I understand, all Blu Ray players are like this. I'm sorry, but there is no satisfactory reason you should have to update the software that plays a damn disc.

Is this a different PS3 than you were having troubles in the past? You mentioned Blu-Ray issues before, but had a bizarre issue that was preventing you from even updating your PS3.

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 80#p142680

Did you figure out what was wrong that was keeping you from updating your PS3's firmware?

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » August 24th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Can you imagine if they made old discs obsolete and/or not function? Hopefully they will never think about doing that because people would throw a fit.

It seems like in the 80's and 90's, (even into the early 2ks) that media used to be in the control of the consumer. Now companies have used technology and DRM to regain control.

I can tell you think much---I will never "upgrade" to Ultra 4k Blu Rays. Forget it. Blu Ray is the last physical media format (for movies) i will ever invest in. I just don't think it's necessary to be any higher res than 1080p, it still looks incredible to me. But hey, I still watch my VHS, Laserdisc, and DVD discs/tapes regularly so I guess i'm not Joe consumer who wants the latest crap.

I really wonder what the adoption rate is for UHD Blue Rays is....did anyone even want, need, or ask for that format?

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » August 25th, 2018, 8:32 am

travistouchdown wrote:Can you imagine if they made old discs obsolete and/or not function? Hopefully they will never think about doing that because people would throw a fit.

I can tell you think much---I will never "upgrade" to Ultra 4k Blu Rays. Forget it. Blu Ray is the last physical media format (for movies) i will ever invest in. I just don't think it's necessary to be any higher res than 1080p, it still looks incredible to me.

Due to this very premise I've got two brand new Blu Ray players put away. They only cost $60 each but for piece of mind....priceless. I too am more than pleased with how good these discs look and also appreciate how well most standard DVD's play on Blu Ray players.

Tron

Postby Tron » August 30th, 2018, 11:35 pm

I’m still really bumming about this. I’ve been planning on getting the Twilight Zone for a couple years now. At least DVD’s are so cheap now.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 31st, 2018, 5:56 am

Tron wrote:I’m still really bumming about this. I’ve been planning on getting the Twilight Zone for a couple years now. At least DVD’s are so cheap now.

If it's the Critic's issues, I really wouldn't let that get you down.

The Twilight Zone on Blu-Ray looks spectacular and isn't something that a fan should miss out on. Even the handful of videotaped episodes from short lived budget cuts a season or two in look nice, even though they're obviously not presented in true high-definition like the filmed episodes are.

You don't want to wait and regret it like I almost did. I bought The Dick Van Dyke Show for $50 on Blu-Ray (Another CBS show that Image Entertainment had licensed and released) and since I also had the old DVD's for The Twilight Zone, I kept waiting for a similar deal on the Twilight Zone. It never happened.

Next thing I knew it was out of print and getting very expensive. But happily the CBS license lapsed and unlike Combat! and the Dick Van Dyke Show, CBS reissued the complete series Blu-Ray set themselves. Was $80 or so a year ago, but still a pretty good value and probably will never get any cheaper.

I wouldn't hold off (Plus the remastered DVD set that accompanied the Blu-Ray's and which can be found in Wal-Mart and such today, lacks tons of extras like the great Desilu Playhouse episode called The Time Element from Rod Serling that basically served as the pilot for The Twilight Zone).

Tron

Postby Tron » September 9th, 2018, 10:15 am

Thanks for the input Atariboy. Right now the series sells for about a third of what it originally did. I know now is the time to buy. With my b-day coming up maybe I will. I feel like I’ve seen every episode. I’m hoping that there’s a couple I haven’t.

Return to “Other Media”