Big Bang Theory Ending

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Stalvern

Re: Big Bang Theory Ending

Postby Stalvern » August 29th, 2018, 2:11 am

I don't think that pop culture references are an especially entertaining form of humor, but I can't fathom the point of references that the target audience isn't even expected to understand. References are normally situational, but the show collapses them all down into exactly one "joke" that happens every time Sheldon opens his mouth, which is that he is a nerd. Genius. Not being in the target audience, I do get the references, and half the time, they don't really fit the context or are simply mistaken (or both). And no matter what, the laugh track blares helpfully to remind me that this is, in fact, a comedy. The unfunniness is complex, layered. This show is for people who don't roll their eyes when a movie character says, "In English, please!" after someone uses words with more than two syllables.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » August 29th, 2018, 8:02 am

The cult following to this show is as nauseating as Rick and Morty, but it's not like the mindless variety of sitcom is anything other than that, mindless form of escapism for those who come back home from their 9-5.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 29th, 2018, 8:53 am

Stalvern wrote:I don't think that pop culture references are an especially entertaining form of humor, but I can't fathom the point of references that the target audience isn't even expected to understand. References are normally situational, but the show collapses them all down into exactly one "joke" that happens every time Sheldon opens his mouth, which is that he is a nerd. Genius. Not being in the target audience, I do get the references, and half the time, they don't really fit the context or are simply mistaken (or both). And no matter what, the laugh track blares helpfully to remind me that this is, in fact, a comedy. The unfunniness is complex, layered. This show is for people who don't roll their eyes when a movie character says, "In English, please!" after someone uses words with more than two syllables.

Your comments are pure gold, Stalvern. Summarized my feelings exactly.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 29th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Man, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. The show is brilliant. Sure, if you've only watched a single episode it may have been hit or miss. The first season was off. I don't think it was until the second or third season that it hit all cylinders.

In a lot of ways it's like Cheers.

Seriously, get past that the show is making fun of nerds (which is what I took it for initially as I am one). Instead it's more about the relationships between people.

There's a great episode where Sheldon can't decide between a PS4 and XBox One. I went through the same thing. It was awesome to see someone else having similar fits. It's a fun 30 minute diversion that's lighthearted.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 29th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Fair enough. A friend made me watch the first two episodes, and they strongly turned me off seeing any more of it. If the later seasons are decent, good on the show for getting its act together.

David

Postby David » August 30th, 2018, 1:57 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Seriously, get past that the show is making fun of nerds (which is what I took it for initially as I am one). Instead it's more about the relationships between people.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but that has nothing to do with my disdain for the show. I saw the couple episodes about five years ago, so in the middle of its run, and I just don’t get it.

https://youtu.be/OjthQKzX88g

Every show built around a laugh track is gonna be a little awkward without it, but I don’t think anything about this is funny.

https://youtu.be/vDYck1aEkxI

Again, other than the pauses and audio cutting out to mute the laughs, the show is still funny because instead of relying on punchlines it places the characters in funny situations.

IMO obviously applies to all the above.

Return to “Other Media”