Heavy metal!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Stalvern

Heavy metal!

Postby Stalvern » September 13th, 2018, 6:10 pm

It's come up in the other music threads, but it really deserves one of its own. I'll start with my three favorite metal albums.

Autumn – Осень – Вечна... (2003)

A deeply beautiful album with a strong Romantic sensibility (it reminds me a lot of Lermontov's poetry, if you'll pardon a bit of grad-student name-dropping). Gorgeous, expansive sound. Probably the only growled metal vocals that count as actual singing – the Opeth guy sounds like the Cookie Monster in comparison. One of the most emotional albums I've heard, metal or otherwise, but without a trace of the adolescent BS that so often passes for emotion in the genre. I don't think I'll ever hear a metal album to top it.

Black Sabbath – Master of Reality (1971)

Timeless, even with the dumb stoner cough at the beginning. This is the one album where it all comes together for Sabbath – Tony's guitar has never sounded more like an earthquake, Ozzy's shrieking has never been less corny (except on Sabotage, maybe), and the rhythm players are relentless. How they put out an album like this in 1971, fully transcending their blues-rock roots for an unadulterated style of heavy metal completely their own, is a mystery for the ages.

Voïvod – Dimension Hatröss (1988)

I'm pretty sure that these guys are actual aliens. I could probably find weirder chords played by any number of "tech"-subgenre bands, but none of them would sound half as natural as Voïvod's. Their gift for making the bizarre seem obvious rivals even Rush's talent, which is some of the highest praise that I can think of. Following this album, they would turn almost completely into a progressive rock group like their countrymen (even getting Rush's producer!), but this is the unique point where the raging force of their earlier music is elevated by the sophistication of their subsequent work.

David

Re: Heavy metal!

Postby David » September 14th, 2018, 7:11 pm

I’m not a metal fan at all, but where do you put Metallica’s early albums in your pantheon of metal albums? I used to be a bigger fan of them in high school and always liked Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, but I never listened to too many other metal albums.

jon

Postby jon » September 14th, 2018, 8:51 pm

1) Terrorizer - World Downfall
2) Van Halen - 1984
3) David Lee Roth - Eat 'Em and Smile

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 14th, 2018, 9:24 pm

David wrote:I’m not a metal fan at all, but where do you put Metallica’s early albums in your pantheon of metal albums? I used to be a bigger fan of them in high school and always liked Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, but I never listened to too many other metal albums.

The first three are great! It's hard to pick a favorite, but I'll go with Master of Puppets because it has my favorite Metallica song, "Disposable Heroes" (and because I'm a boring person who doesn't mind liking their most popular '80s album). I've tried to get into ...And Justice for All too, but the horrific mix ruins it for me.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 15th, 2018, 12:50 am

I saw Ozzy in concert with Metallica supporting their Master of Puppet's album. I was pretty young then. It was my second concert.

Before the show I remember some guy started kicking and punching his seat (probably high on drugs), eventually tearing it off the hinges. He raised it up and everybody cheered. Then you could tell it was dawning on him that he would have no place to sit during the entire concert. He didn't think it through.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » October 5th, 2018, 4:58 am

In no particular order:

Alice In Chains- Dirt
Black Sabbath- Paranoid
Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath
Slayer- Reign In Blood
AxCx- It Just Gets Worse
Shai Hulud- Hearts Once Nourished With Hope And Compassion
Sleep- Dopesmoker
The Melvins- Gluey Porch Treatments
Morbid Angel- Altars Of Madness
Soundgarden- Superunknown

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » October 7th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Some of my favs , in no order
Black sabbath - heaven and hell
King Diamond - the graveyard
Dio - strange highways
Judas Priest - juggulator
Helloween - keeper of the seven keys
Megadeth - rust in peace
Metallica - kill'em all
Iron maiden - number of the beast
Merciful fate - in the shadows
Ozzy - bark at the moon

FusekiGames

Postby FusekiGames » October 7th, 2018, 2:12 pm

jon wrote:1) Terrorizer - World Downfall
2) Van Halen - 1984
3) David Lee Roth - Eat 'Em and Smile

Excellent choices, especially the first one (R.I.P. Jessie Pintado). Here are mine (in no particular order, and no genre discrimination other than "metal"):

1. Carcass- Heartwork and Surgical Steel (both equally)
2. Amorphis- Elegy
3. Grand Magus- Wolf's Return and Hammer of the North (see Carcass)
4. Queensryche- Rage for Order
5. Racer X- Superheroes
6. Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell
7. Tiamat- Wildhoney
8. Cathedral- VII ith Coming
9. Napalm Death- Fear, Emptiness, Despair
10. Eyehategod- Take As Needed for Pain

Many more could go here, such as Death, Maiden (and tons of NWOBHM), Priest, etc...

FusekiGames

Postby FusekiGames » October 7th, 2018, 2:15 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I saw Ozzy in concert with Metallica supporting their Master of Puppet's album. I was pretty young then. It was my second concert.

Before the show I remember some guy started kicking and punching his seat (probably high on drugs), eventually tearing it off the hinges. He raised it up and everybody cheered. Then you could tell it was dawning on him that he would have no place to sit during the entire concert. He didn't think it through.

I saw the same tour in GR MI, on my 16th birthday (Bark at the Moon tour, IIRC). It made me an instant Metallica fan.

Return to “Other Media”