Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
User avatar
DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1058
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 18th, 2018, 10:18 pm

I just found out that MST3K is on Hulu and thought I'd watch it since I'm a fan of Nostalgia Critic and Cinemsasins, both of which made their career making fun of movies. I've watched the first two episodes of season one, though, and I don't think I laughed once. Their riffs are just weak. Is there a certain season or episode I should start on where things get funnier?
Last edited by DaHeckIzDat on September 22nd, 2018, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 780
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Postby Stalvern » September 19th, 2018, 3:30 am

Season 1? That's like trying to get into Earthbound by playing a prototype build of Mother!

The show isn't good until season 3 (when it gets on Comedy Central) and isn't great until the last couple seasons of Joel's run. Mike's run is consistently good (if a bit weaker in the last season or two), but Joel's beleaguered cheerfulness makes him my favorite host. I still need to see the relaunch, but I've heard good things about it (and it has the phenomenal Elliott Kalan writing for it).

I'll recommend three episodes from each host. Eh, make that four.

Joel:
Attack of the the Eye Creatures (I didn't mistype that!)
I Accuse My Parents
Manos: The Hands of Fate
Mitchell

Mike:
Danger!! Death Ray
The Final Sacrifice
Pod People
Space Mutiny

And in case that's not enough fan opinions, someone went to the trouble of ranking every single episode of the show's original run for us.

Don't forget that basically every episode is on YouTube, should Hulu not have one available. It's how I got into the show!
Last edited by Stalvern on September 19th, 2018, 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Gentlegamer
Posts: 345
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 1:01 am

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Postby Gentlegamer » September 19th, 2018, 6:10 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I just found out that MST3K is on Hulu and thought I'd watch it since I'm a fan of Nostalgia Critic and Cinemsasins, both of which made their career making fun of movies. I've watched the first two episodes of season one, though, and I don't think I laughed once. Their riffs are just weak. Is there a certain season or episode I should start on where things get funnier?


Search for the Hercules movies.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 780
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Postby Stalvern » September 19th, 2018, 10:00 am

I also have to say, although I didn't put this in my previous post, that Mystery Science Theater kicks the snot out of both of those series you mentioned. I'll admit that liking the Nostalgia Critic is a matter of personal taste, but I am genuinely offended by the sheer mass of bad faith that goes into CinemaSins. Half of what isn't willfully misinterpreted is made up outright. Do not watch that crap.

User avatar
DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1058
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 19th, 2018, 12:39 pm

I like Cinemasins because they're more of a comedy show than an actual review. They still bring up lots of good criticisms though. I even find myself agreeing with most of their serious, non-joke sins. Believe it or not, they had a big impact on my own writing. I always ask myself "If this was a movie, would the Cinemasins guy sin this part?"

User avatar
Gentlegamer
Posts: 345
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 1:01 am

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Postby Gentlegamer » September 19th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Thought of another: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Gleebergloben123
Posts: 189
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:06 am

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 19th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Love MST3K, my favorite episodes:

This one with Miles Okeefe and his beautifully feathered hair: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ator_2_ ... bile_Orion

Santa Claus Conquers Mars. I still do the “head butt” joke with the fam.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_C ... e_Martians

Gamera. Because it wouldn’t be a list without a Gamera flick. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamera, ... nt_Monster

Gotta make a list for my fav shorts.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 780
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Postby Stalvern » September 19th, 2018, 1:31 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I like Cinemasins because they're more of a comedy show than an actual review. They still bring up lots of good criticisms though.

But they don't. It's a load of disingenuous BS.

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I always ask myself "If this was a movie, would the Cinemasins guy sin this part?"

The answer is always yes. He'd riddle it with ellipses until it said something stupid enough to "sin".

User avatar
DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1058
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 19th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Stalvern wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:I like Cinemasins because they're more of a comedy show than an actual review. They still bring up lots of good criticisms though.

But they don't. It's a load of disingenuous BS.

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I always ask myself "If this was a movie, would the Cinemasins guy sin this part?"

The answer is always yes. He'd riddle it with ellipses until it said something stupid enough to "sin".


I'm starting to wonder if you've ever actually seen an episode of Cinemasins. Some of the sins are jokes (like the "scene does not contain a lap dance" ones) but he does point out real flaws too. If the characters act illogically, he'll sin them for it. Yes, he nitpicks, but that literally the point of the show and he even admits it. It's the exact same mindset that goes into making the How It Should Have Ended videos.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 780
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Postby Stalvern » September 19th, 2018, 2:57 pm

I don't think you watched the videos I linked. And that's fair, because it is a time investment, but I linked them because they do a better job than I ever could of showing just how irrelevant the actual content and context of a film are to a CinemaSins video. The second one (here it is again) is literally just the CinemaSins episode on Avengers: Age of Ultron, but with a follow-up to each "sin" explaining what CinemaSins deliberately ignored (or even edited out) in order to manufacture flaws in the movie. I couldn't care less about Marvel movies and how good they are or aren't, but it's mesmerizing to watch dang near every single point refuted with the most basic evidence. When you say, "If the characters act illogically, he'll sin them for it," it doesn't mean anything when he flat-out makes their actions illogical by ignoring or inventing contexts. It's all such fake garbage; the only real thing about it is the money this guy gets from ad revenue.


Return to “Other Media”