Chilling Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Chilling Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 20th, 2018, 11:23 am

One day at work I was chatting with my friend Brad about Halloween stuff and trying to explain to him that a foghorn in the distance is one of the scariest sounds. I remembered hearing it from a record I heard as a kid.

So I got home and did a little research to discover the record is called "Chilling Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House" by Disney. You can get a old copy on vinyl pretty easily, but I wanted the CD so I could rip the tracks. Anyway I saw you could download the MP3 from Amazon ($7.99) so I went with that, knowing I could import those into iTunes. It was kind of a hassle to locate the link to download the actual files (Amazon wants you to use some kind of Apple Music app) but I got it done.

It's pretty creepy. Most of the 20 tracks have a female narrator to set the scene, with themes like timber, shipwreck (foghorn!), the birds, the fuse, cats, dogs, and Chinese water torture! These brought back some memories. One thing I did notice however is the tracks tend to recycle the same screams. Still, very fun and just like I remembered. I'm actually tended to pick up the vinyl since I think that tends to sound better.

I also have an old 33 record called Disney's Haunted Mansion from my childhood, starring Ron Howard of all people. It's a great story-record, and the illustrations in the included book are fantastic. I still listen to mine once a year with the wife although the book is raggedy.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Chilling Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 20th, 2018, 3:22 pm

My time working at a haunted house introduced me to the Midnight Syndicate, an orchestra that does themed pieces themed for different kinds of scary atmospheres. Gates of Delirium is my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WesLbfeyIMs&list=PL2700C004DC3F6BCB

pacman000

Re: Chilling Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House

Postby pacman000 » October 20th, 2018, 5:44 pm

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6rQyRxLBrY

If I remember correctly the record's organized into two parts: Sound Stories & Sound FX collections. The record sleeve suggested using the FX collections to make your own stories!

Return to “Other Media”