Technology Addiction

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
David

Technology Addiction

Postby David » November 4th, 2018, 3:11 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/10/tech/app ... index.html

I read this a few weeks ago and it hit home with me because I’ve been very cognizant of my own habits lately. The internet wasn’t a thing for me until I was a teenager, and even though I grew up without smart phones and a limited exposure to the internet I still find myself looking at screens almost every waking moment. I work in front of a screen, I go home and watch movies/TV on the screen, play games on the screen. The only time I’m not are when I’m going on a jog or playing guitar, but even then I sometimes look at a screen to read music.

Sometimes I worry for kids now who’re growing up completely dependant on screens and phones and I wonder what society will look like in 15 to 20 years. Is this concerning for those of you with kids, or do you think it’s not a big deal at all?

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Technology Addiction

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 5th, 2018, 1:22 am

Every generation has a problem with the newer generation's technology. When cars were invented, they said riding a horse was better. When the radio was invented, it kept families from socializing. When the newspaper was invented, people became "antisocial" when they read it on the bus instead of talking to strangers. When tv was invented, people parroted the same complaints about the radio, and now they're saying the same thing about video games, internet, and smart phones.

Yes, it's possible to be too dependent on these things, but if you listen to the old fogies who complain about it, they'll have you thinking that using them at all is bad. My dad is still convinced that Paypal is a Nigerian prince scam. Just ignore them and entertain yourself your way.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 5th, 2018, 4:07 pm

As a family, we tend to be “old school”, and my kids still play a lot outside, board games, and reading books. I’m pretty proud of that, and we monitor our screen time pretty well. A few times a year, I’ll take an “internet free weekend” to disconnect.

I tend to be strict when it comes to gaming—I tend let mine play until they were 6. No iPad until 8 (which seem more “isolating”, and is more dangerous in my opinion).

I’m positively disgusted when I see a parent shove an iPad or phone in their 3 year old’s face when they get the least bit bored or whiny. I see it at grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

This upcoming summer, I’d like to really make a good garden in our backyard. Aside from the bit of food we’ll get, gardening is such a useful skill that I worry is fading fast.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 5th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Voor wrote:I’m positively disgusted when I see a parent shove an iPad or phone in their 3 year old’s face when they get the least bit bored or whiny. I see it at grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

After chasing my toddler in a restaurant and sitting in the foyer while she roamed in a 4x4 foot space while my wife and our friends had brunch yesterday, I'd gladly take an ipad. This is of course after giving her a fidget like device with tons of buttons, painting with water brush book, and an actual book to thumb through and read to her. If an ipad works...I think you sold me on it. :P
Did I forget to mention I wore more orange juice than I drank? Yeah, count me in for buying an ipad. ;)

Return to “Other Media”