Records vs. CDs vs. digital music

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
pacman000

Re: Records vs. CDs vs. digital music

Postby pacman000 » December 10th, 2018, 8:37 am

I too miss Hastings dearly. We still have Half-Price Books & Movie Trading Co, but they don't have the breadth or depth of Hastings' selection.

I think the local Walmarts still sell CDs, maybe the local Targets too. Again, they're not the same as a dedicated store; they can only carry the most popular items.

SpiceWare

Re: Records vs. CDs vs. digital music

Postby SpiceWare » December 10th, 2018, 11:24 am

I started my music collection on 8-track in the mid 70s before switching to cassette tape. Also bought a few albums and 45s during this timeframe, though preferred the portability of tape (especially after I bought my first car in 83).

Moved onto CDs in the late 80s. Ripped my CDs in 2003 to AAC 128 kbps (and later 256 kbps as drive space became cheaper).

Started buying digital from iTunes in 2004 and mostly listened to music via an iPod.

A few years back I decided to I reripped all of my CDs using lossless as disk space was now super cheap. Had forgotten how much better CDs sounded over digital music(both self ripped and purchased).

I started to notice iTunes had messed up a few albums I purchased, such as flagging Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight as the clean version. I tried to get them to fix it explaining that I didn't pay for censored music, but they wouldn't fix it. Between things like this, and how better lossless sounds, I've switched back to buying CDs.

Turned out to be beneficial this year as lossless sounds awesome in my Tesla Model 3, which is probably the best sound system I have. I did have to use a utility to convert to FLAC though; but lossless to lossless is still lossless, so all is good.

Return to “Other Media”