New Smashing Pumpkins Record: Shiny and Oh So Bright

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Smashing Pumpkins Record: Shiny and Oh So Bright

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 7th, 2018, 4:56 pm

The Pumpkins are one of my all-time favorites and I was looking forward to their new album which reconstituted 3/4 of the original lineup (minus D'arcy Wreztky on bass).

I've listened to it twice and it's just not doing it for me. The opening try has a wah-wah sounds that's kind of annoying. The single Solara sounds like an outtake from one of the post-2000 Pumpkin CDs.

I don't know if Billy Corgan is take anti-depressants or what, but these new songs are too uplifting. Bring back the goth and the angst!

Anyone else heard the new album?

Stalvern

Re: New Smashing Pumpkins Record: Shiny and Oh So Bright

Postby Stalvern » December 7th, 2018, 5:49 pm

I haven't heard this or the last one. Word of mouth and reviews haven't been too great. And the albums are so short! Half an hour is a joke for this band. I don't understand what happened to Billy Corgan after Oceania; he seemed to really have it all together for that album, but everything since has been a circus of stupid drama and psychotic politics, with music seemingly being an afterthought.

On the other hand, it's been less disappointing than the past decade (!) of fiddling around from Robert Smith.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 7th, 2018, 6:42 pm

He’s Too old for angst.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » December 8th, 2018, 8:58 am

The only two songs that do anything for me are Marching On and Seek and You Shall Destroy. Two worthwhile songs on an eight track album makes for a pretty bad album. Honestly, he should have sat on the songs he recorded for Ogilala, which was excellent, and recorded them with the Pumpkins. Had he done that, he may have had the best Pumpkins album since Adore!

He’s capable of recording great music, but he is never going to record another Siamese Dream.

Return to “Other Media”