Good movies you’ve watched recently

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Voor

Good movies you’ve watched recently

Postby Voor » January 4th, 2019, 8:49 pm

This week:

Thor Ragnarock—entertaining and funny. I liked it more than I thought I would. I also se Infinity War a while back.

Downsizing—first 30 or so minutes were fine, and then it decided it didn’t want to be a comedy, but a “message movie” instead. Ugh. I really didn’t like it, but my wife did.

You Were Never Really Here—really liked this. Joaquin Phoenix was great and this was a different hitman/rescuer film in that it delves deeper into the character than the action.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Good movies you’ve watched recently

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 4th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Agree about Thor Ragnarok. I've pretty burnt out on superhero movies, but its irreverent, self-deprecating tone was a lot of fun. This one is definitely Blu-Ray worthy.

I didn't care as much for Infinity Wars, which I thought was too long.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 4th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Me and the girlfriend went out to see Holmes and Watson over the Christmas holidays. And we couldn't stop laughing at it. Will Farrell and John C. Reilly hit it out of the park this time. And I loved the brief cameo by WWE superstar Braun Strowman.

The funny thing, though, is that we both wanted to see either The Grinch or this new horror movie called Possesion. Unfortunately, we arrived at the theater a little too late for The Grinch, and Possession was no longer playing. So after looking at what was playing, we both settled on Holmes and Watson just because it was the only thing on we haven't seen as of yet. and after watching 5 minutes of it, we both knew we made a good choice. Such a funny movie. and we'd definitely watch it again...

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 5th, 2019, 3:39 am

White Christmas in a movie theater a few weeks before Christmas is the most recent movie I've watched. Was great to finally see it on the big screen.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 5th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Saw "Ralph Breaks the Internet" with my daughter and enjoyed it. If you liked the first one you will like the sequel.

I agree with the VGC on Infinity Wars...too long and boring for my tastes. Plus the ending was just lame.

I saw Mission Impossible Fallout a while back...best action move I have ever seen. Cheers!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » January 5th, 2019, 4:09 pm

I also saw Thor: Ragnarok as well in the past month with my wife, who usually won't sit through a Superhero movie anymore but we both enjoyed this one. It didn't take itself too seriously, and the action was good but brief by and large, with plenty of comedic relief thrown in.

I watched Infinity Wars about a month prior to Thor, and while I enjoyed it I didn't think it was as good. And as someone who doesn't follow these Marvel movies super closely, I often don't understand what specific powers/weaknesses the various characters are supposed to have or their backstories, which makes the movies less engaging for me.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 5th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Been really interested in the Titanic recently for some reason, and "A Night to Remember" (1958) is a pretty good film.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » January 6th, 2019, 5:01 am

newmodelarmy wrote:Saw "Ralph Breaks the Internet" with my daughter and enjoyed it. If you liked the first one you will like the sequel.

I don't agree. I really liked the first one, so I was looking forward to this one, but I found it just a disappointment. Bad story, just silly action.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 6th, 2019, 8:16 am

newmodelarmy wrote:
I saw Mission Impossible Fallout a while back...best action move I have ever seen. Cheers!

I somehow forgot about Fallout. You are right, it’s absolutely fantastic—best One in the franchise. Amazing action, good humor, interesting story (though I get lost at some of the twists), Cruise at his best. I had heard a lot of hype going in, and it lived up to expectations.

Sometimes, it’s nice just to have an action movie that doesn’t try to be more than it is—Mad Max Fury Road is a good example I think.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » January 6th, 2019, 11:43 am

I just watched Netflix's Bird Box the other night and would highly recommend it. While it is easy to poke holes into it (I would have liked some type of explanation as to how crazy people were immune and what was the source of the epidemic) the movie is chilling.

Return to “Other Media”