Funny Movies?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Funny Movies?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 16th, 2019, 8:55 am

Have you noticed there are very few modern comedies? I can't remember the last one that would deserve classic status.

Anyway if you're looking for a funny movie try Totally Awesome. I have it on DVD. This movie came out in 2006 as a made for TV movie on VH1 (remember that?). Anyway it stars Mikey Day, Chris Kattan, Tracie Morgan, and a lot of other funny people. It takes on all the tropes for the 80's and 80's movies.

This movie is underrated. I played this for my wife's friend the other night and she was crying with laughter.

velcrozombie

Re: Funny Movies?

Postby velcrozombie » February 23rd, 2019, 12:10 pm

I'm having trouble thinking of too many recent (10 years give or take a few) comedies. The most recent comedy I remember really enjoying was probably What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - a New Zealand comedy that gives the mockumentary, This IS Spinal Tap treatment to a group of vampires (and a smattering of other supernatural creatures) covertly living in a Wellington suburb. What makes it really work (besides the ways that it explores the conventions of vampire myth in funny ways) is that all the characters are likable and well-drawn and the comedy comes from their relationships with each other. The director when on to do the most recent Thor movie, which I thought was also amusing.

Another comedy I liked that didn't get much attention was Observe and Report (2009), a black comedy that takes the "lovable loser" trope of an Adam Sandler movie and pushes it into nasty, cringe territory. Seth Rogan is a mall cop who desperately tries to catch a streaker plaguing his turf while working towards a spot on the police work and searching for love. The same director worked on The Foot-Fist Way and Eastbound and Down.

Return to “Other Media”