The experience of vinyl

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The experience of vinyl

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 4th, 2019, 3:44 pm

I was reading this interesting article and comments on the popularity of vinyl.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/ ... e-message/

On thing that stuck out was that people value the "experience" or ritual involved in playing a record. It occurred to me that when you take the time to listen to a record you actually have more invested, and therefore savor the experience more. It can't be an afterthought like a careless mouse click. You actually have to go through the motions.

I think there are parallels to gaming. Not that inserting the physical media into a system is that big a deal, but I think many of us have font memories of popping in carts (after blowing on them). Buying the game from a store is also part of the experience. I actually have very sharp memories about how I acquired many games, especially if they were gifts.

I know it's convenient to download a cheap game and play it without leaving your chair, but I wonder if those games leave a lasting impression. Media has become very disposable, and I think it has cheapened the overall experience.

Thoughts?

Voor

Re: The experience of vinyl

Postby Voor » March 4th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Yeah, vinyl tends to make the listening experience more “deliberate”, but it depends what your after. If you want to “experience” the music that’s great, but if you want something to jog to, then another format is better suited.

Gaming tends to follow the same

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » March 5th, 2019, 10:26 am

I like listening to records, but I don't really like playing them. I'm always afraid I'll scratch them.

Having said that I do like visiting a record store. And game stores & video stores & book stores. I miss Hastings sorely & still visit Game Exchange semi-regularly. I don't like downloading anything; click then wait, wait, wait...wait......wait............ That's not fun! I want a game/movie/audio recording in my hand than I can put into a player & enjoy.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » March 11th, 2019, 6:51 pm

I myself love listening to vinyl records, and have a habit for collecting them at the given opportunity. There’s just a certain charm to the format that just keeps me coming back for more.

I also find a similar charm in watching VHS tapes. While they probably won’t make a comeback like vinyl has (despite how much I wish they would), I have a ton of memories with the format and I still enjoy watching them now. Yeah, I know a lot of people prefer DVD/Blu-Ray and streaming nowadays for superior quality, but higher resolution is by no means a priority for me; if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. In fact, once I finally find a place of my own I’ll start collecting VHS tapes for my viewing pleasure and only buy newer films on DVD or Blu-Ray. And no, I don’t plan on ever streaming via Netflix, Hulu, etc. Why the [expletive] would I pay the periodical bills for a streaming service when I can have my own copy to watch for free?

Return to “Other Media”