Terminator Dark Fate Trailer

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
BanjoPickles

Terminator Dark Fate Trailer

Postby BanjoPickles » May 26th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Was anybody as let down by the trailer as I was? With the return of James Cameron and Linda Hamilton, along with the decision to retcon every post-T2 film, I had high hopes....but this looks more like an extension of Terminator Genisys!

I think that part of what has plagued this series is the very thing that made T2 such a spectacle: the CGI. People seem to forget that the CGI in T2 was used at a minimum (less than three minutes, if I recall), with the rest being practical effects. Maybe I’m in the minority, but practical effects lend an air of authenticity that CGI simply can’t.

Also, I really wish that they would drop the John/Sarah Conner story arc. If this is a global conflict, John Conner would have been merely one of several hundred leaders of many different resistances, so why is the story only his? Also, it would be nice to figure out a way to break free from the good terminator vs. bad terminator story. Salvation was on the right track, if only it had been a better movie.

Thoughts?

matmico399

Re: Terminator Dark Fate Trailer

Postby matmico399 » May 26th, 2019, 4:55 pm

I'm about worn out on the series. One and two were fantastic. 3 was decent in salvation had a great couple of scenes like the motorcycle chase, it was a disappointment. I didn't even bother with the next film. I might give it a shot on DVD since Cameron is back, I'll have to read the reviews. But it is getting a little long in the tooth.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 26th, 2019, 5:59 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:I think that part of what has plagued this series is the very thing that made T2 such a spectacle: the CGI. People seem to forget that the CGI in T2 was used at a minimum (less than three minutes, if I recall), with the rest being practical effects. Maybe I’m in the minority, but practical effects lend an air of authenticity that CGI simply can’t.

No kidding. The truck blowing through the wall looks amazingly fake. What was stopping them from just driving it through a prop wall? And they put this in the trailer?

I recently saw this video, which makes the excellent point that modern blockbusters' mindless reliance on the crutch of CGI has led to a demand that the effects companies just can't keep up with unless they cut corners. It certainly explains how a simple concrete wall can look that bad in 2019. Even the other effects are patchy – the way the flesh grows onto the evil Terminator with a cheap fade transition looks like something from 20 years ago. This has to be the shoddiest-looking movie that James Cameron has put his name on.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 26th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Stalvern wrote:
BanjoPickles wrote:I think that part of what has plagued this series is the very thing that made T2 such a spectacle: the CGI. People seem to forget that the CGI in T2 was used at a minimum (less than three minutes, if I recall), with the rest being practical effects. Maybe I’m in the minority, but practical effects lend an air of authenticity that CGI simply can’t.

No kidding. The truck blowing through the wall looks amazingly fake. What was stopping them from just driving it through a prop wall? And they put this in the trailer?

I recently saw this video, which makes the excellent point that modern blockbusters' mindless reliance on the crutch of CGI has led to a demand that the effects companies just can't keep up with unless they cut corners. It certainly explains how a simple concrete wall can look that bad in 2019. Even the other effects are patchy – the way the flesh grows onto the evil Terminator with a cheap fade transition looks like something from 20 years ago. This has to be the shoddiest-looking movie that James Cameron has put his name on.

I was thinking the same thing, when he reformed on the hood. It looked so unconvincing! Do the people behind this not realize why people are in love with the first two? Yeah, the special effects were great, but so was the story, the pacing, the characters, and the meaning behind it all. I can see this sort of cheap spectacle in nearly any summer blockbuster! What this series has failed to deliver, in twenty-eight years, is the feeling that I’ve seen something that will stick with me, long after the effects are dated! Even with the effects, in the T2, it was fun trying to decide what was practical and what wasn’t! Seeing a T1000 shatter into a thousand pieces and melting into drops was fun; seeing Arnold’s arm get caught in a grinding gear was fun; the first time I saw the T1000 in action was mind-bending! With T3 and Genisys, I had no reason to care because, by that time, it was obvious that computers were behind most of it.

I’ve also noticed that every antagonist after T2 copies the Robert Patrick look, upon recovery. It’s annoying that they’re content to keep copying and pasting!

I like to think that genuine fans of the franchise need more than “James Cameron is BACK!” Well, first off he isn’t “back.” He’s producing, yes, and I’m sure he has had a hand in the new film but just because he created the franchise, it doesn’t mean that it will be good. When T3 came out, he fell over himself praising it, only to trash it a few years later. He did the same thing with Genisys, and now he’s doing it with Dark Fate!

If you really want to excite me, stop trying to spoon feed me lip service! Give me something new, something exciting! Instead of the same story, go back to the IDEA of Salvation, put it in more capable hands, and create a film that’s more like an anthology! I don’t want to see a movie where good guy fights the bad guy and crap explodes! No, I would love to see a movie that adequately covers the part of 1 and 2 that gave me nightmares as a kid: a dying human race that is simply trying to survive! Here are a few ideas:

1). How do children respond to this cold, violent existence where they are not allowed to be children? Show them training. Their parents tell them stories about life before the bombs fell, and the machines took over.

2). How do you treat PTSD when you’re surrounded by war, and you can’t escape it? Surely there are doctors in the camps. How can you be a doctor without adequate supplies?

3). Is love really worth exploring in the future?

4). What about the forced labor camps that were discussed by Kyle Reese in T1?

5). How did the machines evolve from T1’s to T1000’s? How did the machines create these new technologies?

6). Where are all of the other leaders of the other factions of the global resistance? Do they communicate?

Evolving the series and making it viable again can be done! Retire Arnold’s aging caricature, move beyond the overplayed Conner arc, create a real mythology, and go from there! Get back to telling us a story worth caring about!

Return to “Other Media”