Favorite AVGN episodes/moments and why?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Sonicx9

Favorite AVGN episodes/moments and why?

Postby Sonicx9 » September 19th, 2019, 9:32 pm

My vote is as followed:

Life of Black Tiger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKp3V1PiELk No wonder why Jim Sterling makes many negative YouTube videos on the Unity game engine it garbage like this!

Aladdin Deck Enhancer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnnf42BQTfo Behold a add-on more useless then the Sega 32X!

Spider-Man namely the end part song.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_8It1WRPa8

The Wizard of Oz (Mike Matei as the Cowardly Lion was the best part of the episode along with the game being bad!)

Your guys turn to list your Favorite AVGN episodes/moments.

Stalvern

Re: Favorite AVGN episodes/moments and why?

Postby Stalvern » September 20th, 2019, 2:28 am

Landing in Top Gun with the U-Force. My jaw dropped when I saw that.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 20th, 2019, 12:10 pm

I forgot about AVGN Batman part 1 namely the ending part where he said "It sucked back then, and it sucks Forever" part especially because thar how i felt after watching Batman V Superman movie!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 20th, 2019, 1:25 pm

I forgot about the AVGN Tiger episode that was funny!

Voor

Postby Voor » September 20th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Older ones: Ninja Gaiden, particularly the training montage

Middle: ROB the Robot

Newer ones: Earthbound.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 20th, 2019, 7:59 pm

ROB the Robot was my favorite, although I love to revisit all the Halloween episodes in October.

It's kind of sad that the AVGN has gone YouTube-exclusive. I love being able to revisit the old episodes on DVD, but he stopped releasing those a few years ago.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 20th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Stalvern wrote:Landing in Top Gun with the U-Force. My jaw dropped when I saw that.

Preeeety sure that was pulled off in the editing room. But hey, if he did that for real, more power to him!

Oh, AVGN. I was never the biggest fan of the show or the humor therein, but that being said, I've seen nearly every episode. One of those things that just kinda "sucks you in" after a while. Shame about what's happened to Cinnemassacre as time's gone on (renaming the YouTube channel to "Cinnemassacre Plays" pretty much says it all) but I'm happy to watch a few episodes every now and then, even if I feel like AVGN jumped the shark quite a long time ago.

Most of my favorite moments relate to Kyle Justin and his music. I loved everything about the SpiderMan episode, especially Kyle's cheap old-school SpiderMan costume and odd Peter Parker voice inflections. "Ya need some help with this gameee?" still makes me laugh every time I hear it, as does the song at the end. The "Double Vision" song at the end of the Intellivision and Colecovision was a nice touch, too. I also liked the Ikari Warriors episode, as I had that game as a kid and had many of the same frustrations the two guys did while they were playing it. Didn't care much for the "Where did the hair go?" song, but "It's the game of life, A-B-B-A..." still gets stuck in my head from time to time.

The Toxic Crusader / Troma episode was great, as well, and I liked that The Nerd had a guest star for that one - and a C-list celebrity, at that! Leave it to Lloyd Kaufman so say and do things during that episode to make The Nerd blush. One of those episodes where I really didn't mind the potty humor all that much given the backdrop of Troma Films. And Kaufman's line about making millions of dollars by, "being like George Lucas, and selling it to Burger King," gets me every time.

I liked the faux commercial at the end of Big Rigs, and feel like that was maybe the last episode that I honestly and truly loved. Well, OK, the episode about The Crow game on the Sega Saturn was pretty great, too, mostly because I had owned the game before and wholeheartedly agreed that it was one of the worst Saturn games I'd ever played. Calling The Crow a "King Diamond M*****f*****" made me laugh, too. Oh, and the troll job on the Superman 64 episode, where he starts off playing Superman for the Commodore 64, was a nice touch.

I think my biggest takeaway about the show is that I don't need some dude on the Internet to tell me that bad games from my past are bad. For those of us out there that never played games like Superman 64 and The Crow: City of Angels when they were released, then yeah, I get it, and I think those tend to be the people that enjoy the show the most. Having already played the vast majority of games reviewed on the show years prior, though, I usually only need a minute or two with each episode before I can nod my head in agreement, say "yup," and move on.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » September 20th, 2019, 10:57 pm

The Big Rigs episode had me laughing, as did Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. I enjoy his reactions to completely left-field things like we see in those two games.

His "middle period" videos are probably my favorite, but some of the recent ones are amusing. (I went back and watched some of the early videos recently, and they were surprisingly weak!)

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 21st, 2019, 8:07 am

Having given it more thought, I'll say that my top three episodes are A Nightmare on Elm Street, the second Bible games video, and Silver Surfer. The Freddy sketch sums up all of old Cinemassacre's charm for me, a masterpiece of no-budget ambition and goofy camp. The Bible games are a smorgasbord of everything that the show was created to mock: absurdity, incompetence, and greedy opportunism. And the Silver Surfer episode is so despairingly angry that I start feeling genuine pain for the Nerd, rather than just watching a hammy character.

I disagree that the show has jumped the shark. James's hair may be receding ( :( ), and he may not quite be able to put on the rage that he had a decade ago, but I think that episodes like Drake of the 99 Dragons and the Hydlide sequels stand up to most from his "classic" era, and the Amiga videos are two of his best ever. Plus, he still says "reeview", which always makes me smile.

Matchstick wrote:Preeeety sure that was pulled off in the editing room. But hey, if he did that for real, more power to him!

You're probably right. Especially since I didn't even remember the right video; it was the Power Glove, not the U-Force. Still a great moment either way, in different ways. (The Power Glove episode also has my all-time favorite Nerd line: "It's so bad, it sucks – it's so f***ing suck, it f***s!")

Matchstick wrote:Most of my favorite moments relate to Kyle Justin and his music.

No love for the Sega CD episode's extended theme song?

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 21st, 2019, 9:59 am

His reviews of the INTV and the CV. What he said after picking up the CV power supply made me bust a gut. And his comments on the Tiger R-Zone are objectively hilarious.

Return to “Other Media”