Page 1 of 2

Utada Hikaru music discussion

Posted: October 10th, 2019, 5:45 pm
by Sonicx9
I wanted to make this discussion because I am a big fan of her music, namily her Kingdom Hearts theme songs, but I do love one of her non-Kingdom Hearts namely the beautiful Sakura Drops song, heck I listen to this song on my second Japan trip plane ride from home and back and the song was fantastic so I decided to make a AMV using After Effects: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 15&t=18098 and the AMV was for Square Enix own Octopath Traveler game using the offfical Nintendo Of America trialer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCaDh7LUw5g and oddly it goes well considering it a Square Enix RPG game using Unreal Engine 4 (same Engine tech as Kingdom Hearts 3 FYI). Any of you guys here a fan of her music. Also I would know that Jonathan Hawk on his guest review said she is one hot singer, which she is and think of her as an adorable hot gal. (I just love Anime/Video Game/Japanese women and girls so sue me. :lol:)

Also a big fan of the Kingdom Hearts games as well.

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Posted: October 11th, 2019, 11:21 pm
by Stalvern
I love Deep River, but none of her other albums come close. Ultra Blue seems to be underrated, though; it's probably my favorite of the rest. Not interested in her English stuff.

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Posted: October 12th, 2019, 12:37 am
by Sonicx9
Stalvern wrote:I love Deep River, but none of her other albums come close. Ultra Blue seems to be underrated, though; it's probably my favorite of the rest. Not interested in her English stuff.


Deep River was a great album especially considering it has two of her best songs Sakura Drops and Hikari the later which was known as "Simple & Clean" in the Kingdom Hearts games.

And related to her music, how well does Sakura Drops fit with Octopath Traveler via my AMV, does it give a Kingdom Hearts vibe or not really?

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Posted: October 12th, 2019, 2:26 am
by Stalvern
Sonicx9 wrote:And related to her music, how well does Sakura Drops fit with Octopath Traveler via my AMV, does it give a Kingdom Hearts vibe or not really?

The Kingdom Hearts song barely even sounds like her in the first place, so a more tasteful and distinctive song isn't going to remind me of the game. I'm not a fan of "Simple and Clean"; it's trashy and generic to me, compared to the transcendent "Hikari".

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Posted: October 12th, 2019, 12:18 pm
by Sonicx9
Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:And related to her music, how well does Sakura Drops fit with Octopath Traveler via my AMV, does it give a Kingdom Hearts vibe or not really?

The Kingdom Hearts song barely even sounds like her in the first place, so a more tasteful and distinctive song isn't going to remind me of the game. I'm not a fan of "Simple and Clean"; it's trashy and generic to me, compared to the transcendent "Hikari".


Fortunately Sakura Drops is more like Hikari then.

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Posted: October 12th, 2019, 10:07 pm
by ptdebate
Stalvern! Didn't take you for a JPOP fan! (I mean this in a good way)

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Posted: October 12th, 2019, 10:28 pm
by Stalvern
ptdebate wrote:Stalvern! Didn't take you for a JPOP fan! (I mean this in a good way)

I'm really not. Deep River is about as far from my idea of the genre as possible while still technically being a pop album from Japan. I tend to think of her as more of a soul singer, honestly.

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Posted: October 12th, 2019, 10:39 pm
by ptdebate
Stalvern wrote:
ptdebate wrote:Stalvern! Didn't take you for a JPOP fan! (I mean this in a good way)

I'm really not. Deep River is about as far from my idea of the genre as possible while still technically being a pop album from Japan. I tend to think of her as more of a soul singer, honestly.


I *low key* LOVE Ayu - and I have no shame. But yes, I can see the distinction with HU's style. She's also just a very talented vocalist.

Have you played Persona 5? I feel like you would love the soundtrack to that game.

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Posted: October 12th, 2019, 10:54 pm
by Stalvern
ptdebate wrote:Have you played Persona 5? I feel like you would love the soundtrack to that game.

Haven't played any of them, not particularly interested. I'll give the music a shot, though.

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Posted: October 12th, 2019, 11:12 pm
by ptdebate
Stalvern wrote:
ptdebate wrote:Have you played Persona 5? I feel like you would love the soundtrack to that game.

Haven't played any of them, not particularly interested. I'll give the music a shot, though.


Stalvern,
It's been a while and I cannot remember with certainty what your gaming preferences are. But Persona seems pretty universal in its appeal. You should give it a shot if things like youthful camaraderie and high-stakes adventure tug at your heartstrings. They certainly do mine!