Any Beastie Boys fans?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Any Beastie Boys fans?

Postby Retrology » November 9th, 2019, 12:26 am

Been binge listening to these guys and they have so many bangers. The run they had with their first five albums was incredible, but I think Paul's Boutique is their best record, though its experimental nature isn't for everyone. Ill Communication has my favorite Beastie Boys song though, which is of course "Sabotage."

Thoughts? Any other fans?

Stalvern

Re: Any Beastie Boys fans?

Postby Stalvern » November 9th, 2019, 1:12 am

Classic hardcore punk.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 9th, 2019, 9:18 am

I probably saw them in concert about five times in their heyday.
They would tour a lot with Run DMC.

Yeah I think Paul's Boutique is really good.
They threw everything and the kitchen sink into that record.
The only thing it was missing was a hit single.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » November 9th, 2019, 1:26 pm

When the License to Ill 8-track came in from Columbia House (Yes, seriously, an 8-track, because that's the only music player I had in my room in 1986. It made me take a genuine interest in rap as a whole. The following year when I bought Bum Rush The Show from public enemy, I fell in love with the genre. Until it got all autotuned and gross.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 9th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Robotrek wrote:The following year when I bought Bum Rush The Show from public enemy, I fell in love with the genre.

I couldn't agree more, sir. I found the Beastie Boys to be a little too grating (though I consider Hello Nasty a guilty pleasure) and I liked Run-DMC all right (especially their debut album and King of Rock - I loooove 'You Talk Too Much') but man, PE just blew 'em all out of the water.

I used to have the Yo, Bumrush The Show! LP and I regret ever selling it, but at least I still have the CD, along with most of their other albums. I think the last one I bought was New Whirl Odor, and I enjoyed it greatly. Came in a two-disc set with a concert DVD. Well worth the listen and watch.

My favorite thing about Bumrush? The back of the sleeve showed a photo of the guys all hanging out by their Oldsmobiles after dark, clearly in a McDonald's parking lot. So, so completely rad, much in the way the Beasties would rap about Colonel Sanders and White Castle. A bunch of dudes taking a badass group shot in a fast-food parking lot - they already had the cars, the shoes, and the chains, and knew it didn't matter where they took their album photos, the message was already there.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 9th, 2019, 6:41 pm

I probably saw Public Enemy in concert the most of all. My favorite jam was Terminator X to the Edge of Panic. EPMD was great too, LL Cool J, Biz Markie, Big Daddy Kane... it was the golden age from the late 80's to early 90's. In the early days my friends and I would be the only white people in the whole venue, but as years passed the audience became mixed.

I kind of led a double life because I would also go to a lot of rock concerts like Ozzy, Whitesnake, and Bon Jovi.

Return to “Other Media”