Star Wars Rise of the Skywalker

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
BlasteroidAli

Star Wars Rise of the Skywalker

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 20th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Mega Good I just watched it. Normally I can be a little bit critical as sometimes it can be a bit ponderous but not this movie. Full of action. A good story and great effects. Well worth going to see at the movies.

DrLitch

Re: Star Wars Rise of the Skywalker

Postby DrLitch » December 20th, 2019, 8:04 pm

As a standalone film to be judged on it's own merit, Rise of the Skywalker is absolutely fine, it is action packed and relentless. It does not look out of place against any contemporary sci fi/fantasy featuring action packed set pieces.

As a Star Wars film, to be judged with all others as part of a continuum?

It is the worst film of the entire series IMO, worse than Last Jedi even. Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace are masterpieces in comparison. How do you render Stars Wars Episodes 1 - 6 utterly redundant? Release Star Wars Episode 9 thats how.

I think it is poor film making when the best the story teller can do villain wise is bring back a dead character. Under Disney they have done this twice now.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 21st, 2019, 9:40 am

DrLitch wrote:As a standalone film to be judged on it's own merit, Rise of the Skywalker is absolutely fine, it is action packed and relentless. It does not look out of place against any contemporary sci fi/fantasy featuring action packed set pieces.

As a Star Wars film, to be judged with all others as part of a continuum?

It is the worst film of the entire series IMO, worse than Last Jedi even. Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace are masterpieces in comparison. How do you render Stars Wars Episodes 1 - 6 utterly redundant? Release Star Wars Episode 9 thats how.

I think it is poor film making when the best the story teller can do villain wise is bring back a dead character. Under Disney they have done this twice now.

I look at it as the Terminator Salvation star wars movie. Total Hokum but really enjoyable not in the same league as the other ones.. but they brought in JJ again and they needed someone like Jimmy Gunn. Someone who knows how to make a dark tale to end it.
What I do not want to do is put people off seeing it. It is like the 5th Pirates of the Caribbean
film fun but hardly canon to the previous movies..

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 21st, 2019, 12:29 pm

Just got back from seeing it. It tried too hard to pick up the pieces from the last movie and then tie everything up into a bow. Hence the excessive running time. At times it felt like torture to watch.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » December 21st, 2019, 1:32 pm

Going to see it Christmas Eve with the Family. I don't have high expectations after the disaster that was Last Jedi.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 21st, 2019, 1:59 pm

What’s the run time? Over 2 hours?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 21st, 2019, 4:36 pm

It's ten minutes shorter than The Last Jedi.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 21st, 2019, 9:54 pm

Honestly it is a good fun romp. I really enjoyed it. Though JJ is definitely out of his depth. The critic seems to have enjoyed it and at least it is better than the last jedi.. that was as much fun as watching paint dry.

Though we have the Mandolorian which is just superb.

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 22nd, 2019, 6:28 pm

I really liked it. Right now it is in my top five Star Wars movies. 4,5, and 6 stand alone, but 9 is up there with 7.

Tiers:

1st
5, 4, 6

2nd
7,9,3, Rogue One, Han Solo

3rd

Best = 5, Worst = 2
Last edited by noah98 on December 24th, 2019, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 22nd, 2019, 7:44 pm

I'll go

first tier: 4 (new hope),5 (Empire),7 (Force Awakens)

second: 1 (Phantom),3 (Revenge),6 (Jedi)

third: 2 (Attack of the Clones),8 (Last Jedi),9 (Rise)

Return to “Other Media”