Will Disney+ kill physical media?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Matchstick

Re: Will Disney+ kill physical media?

Postby Matchstick » December 30th, 2019, 8:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I do believe however there is a HUGE percentage of people who don't embrace all this new digital technology. You just don't hear from them because they aren't running their mouths on the internet all day.

I happen to think the number of people who play video games offline is a lot bigger than most people think.

Hard to argue with either one of these, really.

I've said this before on other posts, but this is the only website on the *entire Internet* where I have an account like this, and am a member of the community. I have no social media, and I don't own a smartphone. I like you guys on here (quite a bit, really ^_^) and when I'm not flapping my digital gums with the crowd on this site, I'm chatting about similar topics with co-workers, friends, and family.

But no, I never take it anywhere online besides this site. Like in my previous post, I'm still a paper checks / cassette tape kind of guy. I like my games on cartridges and my cameras to use actual film. It's not living in the past so much as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I don't want people knowing my status 24/7, nor do I want any more bots collecting data about me - not as much as I can help it, at least. I've never been comfortable with a lot of the recent (and sudden) digital lifestyle changes. I can accept the Internet as I've been connected to an ISP for about 25 years now, but I just use it with my computer and, rarely, with a game console. I go to school online, too, but again, that's computer use.

When I play games, 95% of the time it's offline. I might play Fortnite or Apex Legends with my wife or friends maybe once or twice a month, at the most. The rest of the time, it's offline single player, usually not on one of the current-gen systems. Again, that's part of the reason why I joined this site, as it's hard to find a collection of game reviews that dates back this far, and nearly impossible to find one that's been composed by largely the same person for the last 20-plus years. I like that I can reminisce about gaming in the 70s, 80s, and 90s and not feel like a total outcast, whereas I wouldn't be able to keep up on a larger site like GameFAQs and the like.

Yes, there are plenty of other people like that out there, and you can find plenty of them on this site. I can accept the current industry trends and changing in gaming and watching habits, but as long as I have the option to do things my way, largely analogue and offline, I'm doing it. I appreciate modern gamers, streamers, YouTubers, and whatnot for what they are, and definitely don't mind letting the "kids" have their fun. As long as I can continue to waste away the weekends playing Road Rash on my Genesis, as far as I'm concerned everybody else can do whatever the hell they want!

Return to “Other Media”