Pearl Jam-Dance of the Clairvoyants

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
BanjoPickles

Pearl Jam-Dance of the Clairvoyants

Postby BanjoPickles » January 23rd, 2020, 11:54 am

I’ve been a diehard fan of Pearl Jam since ‘96 and, apart from their last album Lightning Bolt (a few stellar songs and a lot of filler), I’ve been genuinely moved/impressed with their catalog.

Their new song, somehow, has completely blown me away in a big way! It’s funky, catchy, and has a real 80’s Talking Heads vibe to it! It’s the most refreshed they’ve sounded in a very long time! They sound revitalized, and I love it!

If you’re looking for a familiar-sounding Pearl Jam song, you’ll be disappointed. If you go in with an open mind, I think you’ll come away thoroughly impressed.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Pearl Jam-Dance of the Clairvoyants

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 23rd, 2020, 5:30 pm

I just listened to the song on YouTube and I agree with your assessment.
I was never really into Pearl Jam but I love the new electronic vibe.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 23rd, 2020, 8:24 pm

I'm not a fan of this kind of retro-imitation, but it's fun to see them try their hand at being Talking Heads (absolutely correct, OP) instead of repeating Yield for the sixth time in a row.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 24th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Same as it ever was........(talking heads reference)

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » January 24th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Agreed, Vedder couldn't sound more like David Byrne if he tried. The whole song has a pretty subdued vibe. I wonder if that's to make up for the fact that Eddie's voice is pretty much toast? Still, it's an interesting little tune, and one that makes me miss the era of singles greatly. I doubt the sound represented in this tune could fill an entire album, but for a one-off, it's quite all right. Nice to see the fellas branch out and take a chance like this.

Been out of the PJ loop for a long, long time. I was a member of the Ten Club back in the day, and used to have a little stack of those 45's they'd put out around the holidays each year. I hold onto Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, and Yield dearly (Sorry, No Code!) but pretty much stopped listening after that point. I did enjoy the Lost Dogs compilation album that came out around ten or fifteen years ago, though. It was pretty much a collection of singles, covers, and b-sides from different eras, and had a great variety of sounds. This recent track would fit right in on an album like that one.

Last I heard, Eddie had an album of ukulele songs and was touring with Jack Johnson. As we get older, and stop making sense...

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 24th, 2020, 11:24 pm

Voor wrote:Same as it ever was........(talking heads reference)

This is not my beautiful grunge band!

comchia

Postby comchia » January 24th, 2020, 11:59 pm

Pearl Jam has been my favourite band for almost two decades, and I liked this single a lot. I wasn't expecting a more rough David Byrne-esque sound, but it actually works out rather well, a testament to the eclectic nature of the band that I love.
I'm kinda heartbroken that they aren't playing near my area (Orlando) for the coming tour, though having seen them live three times, I guess I can't complain TOO much. :P

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » January 25th, 2020, 1:04 am

Matchstick wrote:Agreed, Vedder couldn't sound more like David Byrne if he tried. The whole song has a pretty subdued vibe. I wonder if that's to make up for the fact that Eddie's voice is pretty much toast? Still, it's an interesting little tune, and one that makes me miss the era of singles greatly. I doubt the sound represented in this tune could fill an entire album, but for a one-off, it's quite all right. Nice to see the fellas branch out and take a chance like this.

Been out of the PJ loop for a long, long time. I was a member of the Ten Club back in the day, and used to have a little stack of those 45's they'd put out around the holidays each year. I hold onto Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, and Yield dearly (Sorry, No Code!) but pretty much stopped listening after that point. I did enjoy the Lost Dogs compilation album that came out around ten or fifteen years ago, though. It was pretty much a collection of singles, covers, and b-sides from different eras, and had a great variety of sounds. This recent track would fit right in on an album like that one.

Last I heard, Eddie had an album of ukulele songs and was touring with Jack Johnson. As we get older, and stop making sense...

As a hardcore fan, I couldn’t disagree more with the assertion that his voice is toast. Granted, he can’t scream bloody murder like he did during the Ten-Vitalogy era, but he still has a terrific singing voice. He sounds great on Sirens, Future Days, Pendulum, Infallible, and his solo works. His voice has aged so much better than, say, Robert Plant’s has.

Return to “Other Media”