Favorite Grunge Albums

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Favorite Grunge Albums

Postby jon » February 8th, 2020, 10:37 pm

I've been meaning to start this, as I've been loving Green River and Mudhoney's albums. Green River "Dry to the Bone/Rehab Doll" is fantastic. And I've been digging a lot of Mudhoney's albums like "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" for example.

Stalvern

Re: Favorite Grunge Albums

Postby Stalvern » February 8th, 2020, 11:20 pm

Big fan of Screaming Trees here. It's cooler to prefer the '80s stuff or Dust, but Sweet Oblivion is my favorite. Also love Tad's 8-Way Santa and its wonderfully horrible original cover.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » February 9th, 2020, 5:07 pm

-Screaming Trees: Sweet Oblivion (Dust is pretty high up there)
-Pearl Jam: No Code, Yield
-Alice in Chains: Jar of Flies
-Mad Season: Above
Lemon heads: It’s a Shame About Ray
Neil Young: Ragged Glory
-Soundgarden: Bad Motorfinger
-The Gits: Enter the Conquering Chicken
-Smashing Pumpkins: Gish
-Nirvana: In Utero
-Mother Love Bone: Apple

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » February 12th, 2020, 1:39 pm

I'll do a top 10. I'm gonna limit it to one album per artist. Otherwise, Alice In Chains would dominate this list. In no particular order:

Alice In Chains- Tripod
Nirvana- In Utero
Soundgarden- Superunknown
Pearl Jam- Ten
Mudhoney- Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles
Screaming Trees- Sweet Oblivion
Love Battery- Dayglo
Mother Love Bone- Mother Love Bone
The Melvins- Gluey Porch Treatments
Sub Pop 200

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » February 12th, 2020, 7:58 pm

none..it took the fun out of rock

jon

Postby jon » February 13th, 2020, 9:04 pm

I understand the Viewpoint, but the grunge bands I listed as well as a lot of other great posters listed were underground grunge bands that themselves didn’t care to be popular. There’s no way around Nirvana being part of taking down hair metal which I liked a lot of. But having said that I’d rather listen to about 50 underground death metal and grind core bands over hair bands that were bo5$ going on at the same time in the late 80’s. If nirvanas success helped bring that underground metal music accessible to a lot of people than its well worth what happened. Having said that I was never first in line to get Tickets to see STP, Soundgarden. I think a lot of what I’m talking about is underground grunge. And Pearl Jam is actually pretty good some of their albums

jon

Postby jon » March 16th, 2020, 8:46 pm

I couldn't agree more with a lot of the lists here. One thing I think about is this "dean of rock critics" Robert Christgau's reviews. He's a great reviewer but he neglects bands of significance and is partial to bands from New York where he's from. This is the guy that, and I'm sorry for bringing this up, gave Vampire Weekend all A's and an A+ for their garbage albums. He didn't even review Mother Love Bone's "Apple", which is one of the greatest albums of all time. It's easily one of the most important grunge albums. He pretends they didn't exist. He didn't even review Mudhoney's albums but 2 and gave them bad reviews. These were grunge trailblazers. Instead he's too busy giving his fellow New Yorker's (trust me they're like that) glowing reviews. On a minor note he trashed Audioslave, one of my favorite bands. Didn't even review "It's A Shame About Ray" by the Lemonheads, only a different one which he gave a bad grade. He's too busy reviewing Bob Dylan. Why is this guy even reviewing rock albums. Whenever a band he doesn't like comes out with a bad album he never reviews them again. I mean c'mon, he didn't even review Mother Love Bone.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » March 17th, 2020, 5:18 am

What an era for music. I grew up in the 80's so naturally, my love for music is directed to that decade. However, I was really into a few bands in the 90's such as STP and Alice in Chains. I also was into Pearl Jam for a while just like everybody else. The funny thing is, for me, is that I hardly ever reach back for that music. It's a like a period piece for me, it had its place but now is completely out of context. Like somebody mentioned or hinted at already, the music wasn't "fun" so for me it's hard to go back and listen to such heavy, angst ridden tunes. That being said, there were some awesome albums in that time...

jon

Postby jon » May 26th, 2020, 1:55 pm

This maybe shouldn’t be on a grunge thread but I for the first time checked out the Lemonheads first 3 albums in the late 80’s. I’d always heard that they had another front man, Ben Deily. Him and Evan Dando each sang on half each album. And I wasn’t expecting much. But they wer an incredible punk band and those albums rock. I can’t believe how good they are. Deily is a great songwriter and singer. I think that’s what got them the major record deal, which Dando nearly squandered with the unbearable Lovey.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 27th, 2020, 8:22 am

They came out well after the heyday but the first three Queens of the Stone Age albums are pretty grungy even if they get lumped under the stoner tag. Acid Bath had some grungy moments (although the hardcore and metal influences are much more prominent) and Dax Riggs actually sounded like a prototypical Seattle singer when he wasn't growling or screaming. Glad to see Tad's 8-Way Santa mentioned; I really like God's Balls as well. If I had to pick one album overall it would be Superunknown by Soundgarden.

Return to “Other Media”