Favorite Grunge Albums

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Re: Favorite Grunge Albums

Postby jon » February 9th, 2021, 10:42 am

LoganRuckman wrote:
bluenote wrote:When Nevermind came out, I was in love with it! Played it constantly. I was 16 in '91, so I was the perfect age for it.

Now, I can barely listen to it because of how overplayed it's been on the radio, etc over the years. It's too bad really, it is such a good album.

I'm gonna sound like a pretentious hipster douchebag, but Nevermind is probs the weakest Nirvana album anyway, even though I do really like it. In Utero is obviously my favorite, but I also prefer Bleach, Unplugged, and even Incesticide over Nevermind.

I have to admit I was an idiot. In Utero and Bleach are great and probably better overall than Nevermind. Although if I had to have one it would still probably be Nevermind.

I still remember being upset that by 1993 and right before Kurt died that Pearl Jam became more popular than Nirvana. Although the singles for In Utero weren’t nearly as good as The ones on Nevermind.

I read that Pearl Jam’s 1993 album Vs. sold a record 950,000 copies or something in its opening week. In Utero only sold 180,000 it’s first week which was also 1993. Pearl Jam outsold Nirvana 5 to 1. That’s crazy. I remember Mark Arm from Mudhoney once mentioned that In Utero didn’t sell well until Kurt died. In the months after his death it sold millions. At this point it’s apparently sold 15 million worldwide.

I’m pretty sure Pearl Jam was selling out arenas by that point and Nirvana was playing in front of around 5,000-7,000 people. I didn’t realize just how much more popular Pearl Jam was.

jon

Postby jon » September 1st, 2021, 2:35 pm

I've been listening to the Foo Fighters first 2 albums. I never realized how great their first record was. I might have had a drink and all of a sudden I went from not liking Big Me to loving it.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 1st, 2021, 3:08 pm

Timely posts!

I listened to Pearl Jam's Ten yesterday for the first time in at least 20 years. I've been painting and restoring the attic in our house. It was hot, I was drenched with sweat, and I needed something to fire me up and keep me rolling. Why not blast something I used to skate to on a blistering Summer day??

Holy Hell, it never ceases to amaze me how well-produced that album is. The mix is excellent, and every instrument comes through so sharp and clear. Gotta love the eclectic choice of sounds on the intro and outro tracks, too - including that fire extinguisher.

I popped in Vs. next. Yes, I was one of those near-million people that bought it when it first dropped. My cassette tape says "Five Against One" on it, which I later found out makes it kinda rare. Regardless, that album just rips, too. I love them both.

I don't bust out the Jam that often, anymore, but this is one case where I'm glad I did - even if I ended up ruining the clothes I was wearing with paint and getting primer in my eyes twice :roll:

jon

Postby jon » September 19th, 2021, 12:13 am

I used to say I didn't like skateboarding and it was for losers but I was in denial. It was when I realized Jeff Ament, the bassist from Pearl Jam, played college basketball and liked skateboarding that I finally got out of denial. I didn't like skateboarding because I was terrible at it.

One thing that made me appreciate In Utero is when I listened to the Super Deluxe 20th Anniversary. That has all the outtakes from In Utero, and a remix of the album. The problem with In Utero was that 12 songs wasn't enough. The songs from the sessions that didn't make the album are fantastic songs. When you listen to those after the album and then with a remix coming, not to mention an In Utero era show.

jon

Postby jon » August 1st, 2022, 2:29 pm

I listened to In Utero Super Deluxe again and came back with the same impression. Why in the world did Nirvana leave off some of those other songs recorded. The ones that didn’t make the album are so good. Even the Dave Grohl song Marigold isn’t that bad.

Now I know the reason I wasn’t crazy about In Utero. It should’ve had a few more songs. Those are such great songs. Also on Super Deluxe you get a remix of the album they did in 2013 which is amazing. And also the original Steve Albini versions of the singles as well as a live album.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 1st, 2022, 3:45 pm

jon wrote:I've been listening to the Foo Fighters first 2 albums. I never realized how great their first record was. I might have had a drink and all of a sudden I went from not liking Big Me to loving it.

Yes those first two albums are sensational. But my favorite is actually the third "I have Nothing Left To Lose". That one will really grow on you.

After that... well not as good. I couldn't even listen to their latest stuff.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 1st, 2022, 4:47 pm

I was a happy teen and loved rock music about girls and partying so i couldn't relate at all to grunge and the depressing lyrics

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » August 2nd, 2022, 5:26 am

ASalvaro wrote:I was a happy teen and loved rock music about girls and partying so i couldn't relate at all to grunge and the depressing lyrics

Ha ha....love this! Warrant forever baby!

jon

Postby jon » August 2nd, 2022, 2:42 pm

Option 3 is to love both. I love Warrant and Skid Row and Poison. Their best albums were in the early 90’s when they started tackling other subject matter than just girls. I listen to those bands’ early albums but all those bands for instance got heavier in the 90’s. I mean Slave to the Grind by Skid Row is a lot better than their first album.

I don’t think it was just depressed kids that liked grunge and Nirvana. There are some happy rich kids that I grew up with that like Nirvana. A lot of attractive women are into the whole wearing Nirvana shirts like it’s the early 90’s trend. Whether they listen to Nirvana I don’t know. But a good friend of mine growing up loves Nirvana. Once he started hanging out with hot girls we naturally grew apart. But he’s rich and actually got with some famous girls a long time ago. Again this is after he stopped hanging out with me.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 2nd, 2022, 3:36 pm

Teddybear wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:I was a happy teen and loved rock music about girls and partying so i couldn't relate at all to grunge and the depressing lyrics

Ha ha....love this! Warrant forever baby!

Sheez my Cherry pie!!!

I never really got into grunge. It was too depressing. Cobain RIP was addicted to heroin and his lyrics reflect this. A ex-pal was in the Band the Vaselines who was said to have inspired Nirvana. He was always talking about Cobain. We fell out when he started to become a miserable dude. Early this year I gave away my Eurgenius aka Captain America album. Plus my Nirvana albums having not played them for the better part of 15 years.

Return to “Other Media”