AVGN Reasons Blu Ray Sucks

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Gentlegamer

Re: AVGN Reasons Blu Ray Sucks

Postby Gentlegamer » February 25th, 2020, 11:09 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I could really relate to this video made by the Angry Video Game Nerd! I love physical media and want to support it, but Blu Ray has been a source of frustration for me. Especially features that used to work great for DVD, like the home menu button. Now it says "function not available" or some BS like that. And when I got a message saying I had to "update my encryption key" I was mortified. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tetXKdi9U3c

Point of Order: the video is by James Rolfe on his Cinemassacre channel, it is not an AVGN video.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » February 25th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Blu-ray visuals at 1080P are so much better than DVD. DVD sound is just as good from my perspective, running through my Onkyo 5.1 sound system. Although DVDs tended to use Dolby Digital which is often more boomy than the DTS tracks on my BD's.

Streaming is compressed, from my perspective. It may look close to as good as my BD version, but it doesn't sound nearly as good. I bet some people do not notice the downgrade, but I notice it.

Streaming is convenient of course. BD bootup, menus and ads are annoying, but dont take long to get past.

The tech leap that I don't see the need for yet is 4k and higher.
Last edited by Cafeman on February 25th, 2020, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 25th, 2020, 8:36 pm

I do like the way Blu Ray discs are more scratch resistant compared to DVD's. I love physical media, but DVD's can be quite fragile and ultimately unusable over time if they get scratches. That's why I like cartridges--very durable! I've had DVD games and movies stop working, but my Blu Rays all seem to be holding up just fine.

Return to “Other Media”