AVGN Reasons Blu Ray Sucks

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

AVGN Reasons Blu Ray Sucks

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 20th, 2020, 9:47 pm

I could really relate to this video made by the Angry Video Game Nerd! I love physical media and want to support it, but Blu Ray has been a source of frustration for me. Especially features that used to work great for DVD, like the home menu button. Now it says "function not available" or some BS like that. And when I got a message saying I had to "update my encryption key" I was mortified. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tetXKdi9U3c

Voor

Re: AVGN Reasons Blu Ray Sucks

Postby Voor » February 21st, 2020, 8:08 pm

Did you enjoy how he says that streaming is the best? Lol

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » February 21st, 2020, 9:13 pm

Voor wrote:Did you enjoy how he says that streaming is the best? Lol

Haven’t seen the video yet, but I have zero interest in streaming anytime soon. #VHSMasterRace

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 24th, 2020, 9:13 pm

astrodomekid wrote:
Haven’t seen the video yet, but I have zero interest in streaming anytime soon. #VHSMasterRace

As someone who once had hundreds of VHS tapes (that have long since been destroyed, unfortunately), I'm curious about your personal preference for them. While I have a lot of nostalgia for the format (specifically going to video stores and taping my favorite holiday specials as a kid) I'd never purchase something on VHS today if I could get it on DVD for a number of reasons (space, superior picture and sound, widescreen, special features, the ability to make lossless digital backups, the gradual wear and tear on a VHS over many viewings, etc). I still have a handful of tapes but I don't even have a player at the moment and I don't know how much a good one would cost nowadays or if they are still being manufactured in any capacity.

Streaming has a lot of problems (never knowing if or when something is going to disappear from a service being the biggest one for me) and I'm wary of how many platforms there are today, but there are bright spots like the Criterion Channel and Shudder. I also appreciate being able to go on Vudu or Amazon and instantly being able to rent and watch a ton of stuff on demand for a couple dollars.

EDIT: I actually like Blu-ray best of all and I've never had any issues with it. I have a Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD player purchased in 2016 that isn't connected to the Internet and it has never asked to upgrade itself or refuse to read a disc for any reason.
Last edited by velcrozombie on February 24th, 2020, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 24th, 2020, 11:03 pm

There isn't a video format that interests me less than DVD. The video quality is garbage next to Blu-ray, and there's none of the retro appeal or historical value of tape and Laserdisc.

I haven't seen the AVGN video (I don't even have the time for videos I am interested in), and I don't know what the Critic is watching his movies on, but I haven't had any trouble watching Blu-rays. Streaming is crap, DVD is crap, and if Blu-ray sucks, it at least sucks the least of the (legal) choices available.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » February 25th, 2020, 4:11 am

Love streaming and downloading games...why do you need all that junk in your house. Hoarders!

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » February 25th, 2020, 4:12 am

I'm especially frustrated my VHS tapes don't fit in my Blu-ray player.

:mrgreen:

GTS

Postby GTS » February 25th, 2020, 6:02 am

If you have Internet, and the Blu Ray player needs updated, just update it. I'm not sure what it mortifying about that experience. Your player is not going to explode.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » February 25th, 2020, 9:20 am

Streaming is the only way. I have spoken.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 25th, 2020, 10:00 am

I prefer physical media whenever possible, and have never had any major issues with Blu-Ray that I haven't with DVD (including trying 3 different ways to skip ads and other junk). Not sure why an encryption key would be needed for a Blu-Ray unless you are trying to use a service that requires online and haven't connected your Blu-Ray device to the internet.

Return to “Other Media”