Just saw the “Sonic the Hedgehog” movie.

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
astrodomekid

Just saw the “Sonic the Hedgehog” movie.

Postby astrodomekid » February 21st, 2020, 9:34 pm

OK, I’m gonna spill it right away... that was a LOT better than I initially thought it would be.

First off, Sonic may just be my favorite franchise (with Spyro coming a dangerously close second, but that’s another story). Yes, the games have been very hit and miss over the years, but when they hit, they hit. And deep down I had been wishing to see a live-action film based on it, so long as it was done right of course. Still, I will never be able to erase from my memory how shocked I was by the first trailer. Everyone lost their minds when it dropped, and this website was no exception. I thought for sure this was gonna bomb, but then the filmmakers managed to redeem themselves when the redesign came up. I saw the second trailer, and I couldn’t have been more relieved. Not only did Sonic look *infinitely* better, but some of the jokes actually got a chuckle out of me. So... maybe this film would turn out decent after all!

I just got back from it, and I thought it was pretty good. I mean, it’s no masterpiece, but it was fairly energetic and entertaining, and it left me with a happy feeling after seeing it. So much so that I’ll admit to throwing my earbuds on and dancing to this back in the lobby. If you’re a Sonic fan like me, it should make for a fun hour and a half.

Thoughts?

Cafeman

Re: Just saw the “Sonic the Hedgehog” movie.

Postby Cafeman » February 22nd, 2020, 1:00 pm

We saw it last night. I enjoyed it, LOL'd at Jim Carrey and a few other character moments (the loud mouthed sister was pretty funny to me), and I even empathized with Sonic's touching situation a few times. It was fine, but I cant see myself buying it or rewatching it any time soon myself.

Some details: It skews toward a young audience, it isn't a meaty or epic story by any means, it is mostly light hearted and silly entertainment. But Sonic is given a satisfying history and backstory; I felt they did Sonic justice. He looked good, his character has some growth but he is basically like a 12 year old with the powers of Quicksilver and The Flash. Plenty of references to Sonic and Sega games.when the film starts, there is Marvel-esque Sega games sequence and I FRANKLY LOVED IT, sitting in the theater and seeing Virtua Fighter and other images on the big screen! And a surprising amount of Olive Garden. :D. Jim Carrey as Robotnik was inspired casting .... who'd a thunk it!?

Columbia pictures were economic in making the Sonic film, but if I had any wishes for the sequel, I'd like to see even more epic adventure and visuals and battles, and I also think they could ramp up the humor with better written funny side characters and throw in some celebrity cameos too.

I'd rate it 6/10 overall. It could have been a lot worse so kudos to the film makers! I think they have a successful franchise started.

Return to “Other Media”