Joker Movie Sucks

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Joker Movie Sucks

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 6th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Boy did that suck!
What a miserable way to spend two hours.
I can't believe this made money.

Voor

Re: Joker Movie Sucks

Postby Voor » April 6th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Lol. I enjoyed it purely from a social commentary perspective. I work in mental health, so that helps too. But I have no desire to ever see it again.

But, around the same time, I watched another Phoenix movie—you were never really here—on amazon prime, and it stuck with me much more. Obviously different plot, but his character in that film is also troubled (though a different affliction). I liked the plot, acting, editing, soundtrack, etc from that movie a LOT.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 6th, 2020, 6:39 pm

So, as a gamer, you at no point felt empowered to rise up?

Disappointing.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 7th, 2020, 12:51 am

Stalvern wrote:So, as a gamer, you at no point felt empowered to rise up?

Disappointing.

He's been brainwashed by a w*man. Another fallen king :(

strat

Postby strat » April 7th, 2020, 1:09 am

I liked it better when it was called Taxi Driver. The loner-turned-killer has been done to death!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 7th, 2020, 10:17 am

Well considering everything, Joker was not bad given Hollywood's average output is drivel. As a purchase it was a complete waste of money given it cost me north of 20bucks when it released. I just finished watching The Royal Tailor - my abandonment of frugality regarding Blu Ray/4K purchases is not always guaranteed to be unrewarding.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 7th, 2020, 12:29 pm

strat wrote:I liked it better when it was called Taxi Driver. The loner-turned-killer has been done to death!

Oh yeah that was another "critically acclaimed" movie I couldn't stand.

David

Postby David » April 7th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Wow, I'm a little surprised. I loved it. Maybe it was more because Joaquin Phoenix is incredible in it, but I thought it was a really different take on the Batman universe and the Joker as more of a mentally ill character. I understand that its framework was based on Scorsese's King of Comedy but I've never seen that movie. Looking back I think it was one of the weaker films of the one's I've seen that were nominated for best picture (behind Little Women, Parasite, and Once Upon a Time..., but better than Jojo Rabbit), but I still thought it was great.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 7th, 2020, 7:09 pm

This raises an interesting point. How do you rate movies?

I tend to rate them as I do video games. Was it fun to watch? Was I entertained? Artistic merit could be a factor but it's wouldn't be an overriding factor.

In this case, I just sort of cringed through the whole thing, waiting for it to end. Then again, I also dislike reality shows because I don't like to see people in awkward predicaments. So maybe it's just me.

I have seen sad movies that I really liked. Pan's Labyrinth comes to mind.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 7th, 2020, 9:10 pm

I always keep a running list of my top 30-40 movies. Lots of good ones obviously, but to me, it comes down to rewatchability. How likely am I to stop what I’m doing if a certain movie should pop up on TV and watch it?

Return to “Other Media”