Baseball Season?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Baseball Season?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 29th, 2020, 9:32 am

I've been calling for shorter seasons for quite a while. Until 1961 they played 154 games. There's no reason why a team would need to play almost every day. It waters down the sport.

It's like in the 1970's when they only televised an Oriole game every two weeks or so. When a game was on it was a big deal. Now all the games are televised and nobody cares (quality of team notwithstanding). Most of the time back then we were listening on the radio. That was summer in Baltimore - hot, humid, and Orioles on the radio.

Are they allowing fans into the parks? It would be strange without them.

As for the extra innings rule, it looks like they are taking a page from the football playbook to just "try to get it over with". Personally I don't think there's anything more exciting than extra innings baseball. Every out is so critical. And this is where the real managing happens as you tend to go very deep into your bench and bullpen.

jon

Postby jon » June 29th, 2020, 12:12 pm

One thing that is irritating about the long season is that my favorite team will lose a lot of games. If they're not the 1998 Yankees it's going to hurt. The Marlins won the world series in 1997 and 2003. I watched almost every game in 1997 and they lost 70 games. It's so depressing when they lose a ton of games no matter what the record is. The 1998 Yankees lost 48 games. Even if it's an amazing team that's still a lot of bad days watching the team lose. Also, a lot of the losses are blowouts so I'd be watching 70 losses with a lot of them over after the first few innings basically.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 29th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Yeah baseball is a funny sport. The very best hitters fail at the plate 7 out of 10 times!

Return to “Other Media”