Street Fighter Movie

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Street Fighter Movie

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 8th, 2020, 1:18 pm

So I watched this again the other night hoping that the nostalgia factor might make it worth my time.

Man, this movie is so bad. It fails on just about every level. Bad acting, incomprehensible story, horrible dialog, poor casting... They must have spent the entire budget on Van Damme's salary because the special effects are SO cheesy. Even the attempts at humor fall flat.

The thing is, I like what the film was trying to do. It was kind of a light, tongue in cheek action movie with an all-star cast. I love Van Damme and Kylie and Raul Julia. But this is just a mess.

Perhaps worst of all is the fight scenes. I guess there are a few signature moves sprinkled in, but in general the fight scenes are really poorly done, and don't reflect the spirit of the game.

Stalvern

Re: Street Fighter Movie

Postby Stalvern » May 8th, 2020, 11:28 pm

It feels bizarrely '70s for 1994. Compare it to Van Damme's other vehicle that year, Timecop – no masterpiece there, but that movie is The Matrix compared to this. A classic of crap.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 9th, 2020, 11:45 am

You posted this scathing review, but for me, it was just a Friday.

(That’s a play on a great line from the movie)

Tron

Postby Tron » May 10th, 2020, 11:03 pm

Miserable movie for sure. If memory serves me right Vega was the only character that I thought was well cast. I everyone else was off. I like Van Damn and all, but he’s no Guile. Dan maybe, but not Guile.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 11th, 2020, 5:48 am

Probably the only "redeeming" factor of the movie is Raul Julia himself, since he played the part with delicious sinisterness. Other factors are outlandish and don't fit such as Wes Studi, a Native American actor as Sagat, a Thai martial artist, and Dhalsim as a mad scientist rather than a yogi.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 12th, 2020, 10:20 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Probably the only "redeeming" factor of the movie is Raul Julia himself, since he played the part with delicious sinisterness. Other factors are outlandish and don't fit such as Wes Studi, a Native American actor as Sagat, a Thai martial artist, and Dhalsim as a mad scientist rather than a yogi.

I hated Raul as Bison. In the game he was ripped, intimidating and a bad mofo. Raul is a wimpy guy that I could beat the snot outta. Seriously if I feel comfortable beating Bison then there’s no way it’s really Bison.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 12th, 2020, 11:47 pm

Tron wrote:I hated Raul as Bison. In the game he was ripped, intimidating and a bad mofo. Raul is a wimpy guy that I could beat the snot outta. Seriously if I feel comfortable beating Bison then there’s no way it’s really Bison.

Haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on his performance (I've always heard that he was the best part of the film) and I know Julia wasn't exactly buff anyway but he was gaunt in the film because he was in extremely poor health due to complications from stomach cancer - he passed away two months before the film was released after suffering a stroke and subsequently slipping into a coma.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 13th, 2020, 12:59 am

Nobody's saying that he's good because he's "really" Bison, just that it's entertaining to watch him ham it up. Honestly, half the fun of the movie is seeing just how little it cares about anything, and there's nothing it cares less about than the game. The casting is the most obvious area – you don't cast a marble-mouthed Belgian as Guile, you don't make a point of not casting Wes Studi as T. Hawk, except as a display of open apathy for the whole project.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 13th, 2020, 3:36 pm

The whole thing makes way more sense after I learned that Capcom were big fans of removing the street fighting from their street fighter movie. They were apparently desperate to make GI Joe money (through licensing) vs. martial arts tournament movie money.

Which wasn't as much of a stretch for the franchise as you'd hope. The surprise is that their evil plan actually worked, and they made quite a bit of money through selling the broadcast rights.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 23rd, 2020, 6:58 pm

velcrozombie wrote:
Tron wrote:I hated Raul as Bison. In the game he was ripped, intimidating and a bad mofo. Raul is a wimpy guy that I could beat the snot outta. Seriously if I feel comfortable beating Bison then there’s no way it’s really Bison.

Haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on his performance (I've always heard that he was the best part of the film) and I know Julia wasn't exactly buff anyway but he was gaunt in the film because he was in extremely poor health due to complications from stomach cancer - he passed away two months before the film was released after suffering a stroke and subsequently slipping into a coma.

That makes perfect sense since he looked sickly in the film.

You’re right Stalvern that NOBODY that worked on that film had any respect at all for the game. It was a joke, because video games are stupid and only kids and idiots like video games. It’s too bad that the movie was just a dumb joke. I think just about any kid that loved Street Fighter could’ve done a better job at casting the actors. At least Mortal Kombat was good.

As far as the Street Fighter GI Joes; they were awesome! That is they were awesome except for the figures that didn’t have rubber bands.

Return to “Other Media”