The Last Dance (ESPN)

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
TheEagleXIII

Re: The Last Dance (ESPN)

Postby TheEagleXIII » May 24th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Finally got round to watching this and loved it - dug the soundtrack too. I actually had no idea there was so much going on behind the scenes around the 98 season. Explains MJ's run with the Wizards a bit more considering he never really wanted to retire that 2nd time.

I love how it just ended by saying that practically all the Bulls' key players left and they started to rebuild...

So... you're not gonna let us know how that's been going for the past 22 years? :lol:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2020, 2:24 pm

The question is, WOULD the Bulls have won an 8th championship had they kept that team together?

It's a valid question. They were running on fumes, yet still would have been the favorites.

Some say had Michael not left for baseball the Bulls would have won 10 (!) championships.

Thoughts?

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » May 24th, 2020, 3:31 pm

I think there would have been another championship, but maybe in 2000 instead of 99, if the team held together for that long.

I was mostly surprised by how much of Michael's success was based off his desire to have something to motivate him to win or be the best - whatever it was. That whole thing about putting himself under so much pressure that each eventual three-peat was a relief more than a celebration mixed with running on fumes... maybe the Bulls lose the finals to the Spurs in 99, or don't even make it past the Eastern Finals. Then he has his motivating factor for 2000. Maybe even Tim Duncan risking overshadowing him in 99 means even that doesn't happen and they end up doing 4 in a row.

It's crazy these questions even exist, and to think a team at the height of their success was intentionally completely broken down to rebuild for the future. I can't think of any other team in any other sport that's pulled that trigger as prematurely as the Bulls did.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » May 24th, 2020, 7:07 pm

I know the focus is on what might have happened after 1998 but I'm still fascinated by the imaginary asterisks that many fans of that era put by the Houston Rockets '94 and '95 titles. If Jordan doesn't retire to play baseball, could the Bulls have won 5 or 6 titles in row? I'd argue that those Houston teams would have been the toughest Western Conference opponent that Chicago would have faced during their dynasty.

Those '93-94 and '94-95 seasons were exciting and full of intrigue and drama as it was so wide open to who was going to win (Mutombo lyng on the floor squeezing the basketball after beating 63-win Seattle anyone?)

We'll never know but I'd wager that Houston would have beaten one of those Bulls teams with Michael Jordan. Then maybe Horace Grant doesn't leave for the next dynasty that never was (Orlando) and the Bulls never bother with Dennis Rodman. Then Jerry Krause begins the break up after the 1996 season. And The Last Dance then becomes only an 8-part documentary (instead of 10.)

The what-ifs are fascinating!

jon

Postby jon » May 24th, 2020, 10:05 pm

I think the Bulls beat some great teams. The '91 Lakers, '92 Trailblazers, and '93 Suns were great. I think they were as good if not better than the '94 and '95 Rockets title teams. The kicker is that the '94 Bulls if MJ stayed wouldn't have been as great as the '91-'93 teams. The Bulls' big men were getting older. If they didn't get Rodman by the '94 and '95 playoffs (I'll assume he would've been in San Antonio instead), then it's possible they could've gotten beaten in the finals. I still think the Bulls would've won the titles though. It probably would've been 8 straight titles.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » May 26th, 2020, 9:34 pm

Still convinced if Cavs didn't trade Ron Harper for Danny friggin' Ferry the Bulls would have had one less ring from that first run. I hated Jordan growing up, but had to respect his game. Would have been thrilled to have him join my team (always felt the same way about Hines Ward from the Steelers too).

Return to “Other Media”