What happened to guitar rock?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: What happened to guitar rock?

Postby Zack Burner » December 2nd, 2020, 6:42 pm

jon wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:I loved listening to guitar rock songs from "Bohemian Rhapsody" (my all-time favorite rock song), Nirvana's "Smells like team spirit", and 3 Doors Down "Kryptonite" I'd rather listen to that than all the rubbish that's on the radio today.

Those songs are awesome. I love those Mississippi boys 3 Doors Down. As far as something I just got into, in Cop Land they were playing Burnin’ For You and I started checking out a couple of the Blue Oyster Cult songs.

Forgot another song I like, the one that's been rocking our world since 1968, "Born to be Wild" by Lord SteppenWolf. Vroom Vroom!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 4th, 2020, 3:27 pm

I recently picked up the new AC/DC called PowerUp. Believe it or not, these guys still have something left in the tank. This album kicks ass!

While it's certainly not up to Back In Black standards it's definitely comparable to For Those About To Rock.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 9th, 2020, 12:02 am

How about Coheed & Cambria? Most of what I listen to is from the 80s and 90s.. Coheed & Cambria is only band from 2000-2020 that I've actively followed. They're not a mainstream band, but they're big enough that they had a couple minor hits and appeared in the Rock Band games. They're a progressive rock band that sometimes gets compared to Rush (especially the lead singer's voice). There's also some crazy sci-fi story happening in their lyrics, which I don't even pretend to understand.. and they even had some line of comic books based on that backstory. Their 2004 album "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3" is my all time favorite album.

*Anyway, if interested this was their biggest radio hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRWjLLpwnOM

*For their harder rock stuff, check out this song (which was in Rock Band): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0H3RlaQVrM

*And just this year, they did this really catchy "Jessie's Girl 2" collaboration with Rick Springfield, where Jessie's girl turned out to be a psychopath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTGo-JHuCGc
[P.S. What is Rick Springfield taking at 71 to still look 35??]

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » December 9th, 2020, 12:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I recently picked up the new AC/DC called PowerUp. Believe it or not, these guys still have something left in the tank. This album kicks ass!

While it's certainly not up to Back In Black standards it's definitely comparable to For Those About To Rock.

What could possibly match Back in Black? Perhaps the greatest hard rock albums of all time! That said, PowerUp is great and kicks ass for sure! Probably their best effort since 1990's The Razor's Edge.

Return to “Other Media”