Sonic the Hedgehog movie

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sonic the Hedgehog movie

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Picked this up on Blu Ray the other day after it was recommended by a friend, and it's pretty great. Heck even the wife enjoyed it. The fact that it's such a clean film is so refreshing, and Carrey is fantastic as Robotnik. It's the most entertaining I've seen him since the 1990's.

It may be hard to believe but this movie really is funny - often even laugh-out-loud funny! I'm working on a full review and I should have it posted in the next few days.

velcrozombie

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog movie

Postby velcrozombie » June 20th, 2020, 11:55 am

It's a pretty good kids/family film. Sonic's redesign is very cute and fits the character's personality. There are some fun moments (the old man trying to catch the "blue devil", the slow-motion scene in the bar that was basically a rip-off of the Quicksilver scenes from the recent X-Men films but still clever) and I'm sure I would have loved it if I were 12 or younger. Carrey is fine - I had to go to IMDB to figure out how long it's been since I've seen him in something and it was Bruce Almighty back in 2003 - although they made Robotnik a bit more of a jerk and less of the pompous, bumbling know-it-all I've always though of him as. There was a nice nod to the classic Eggman design near the end of the film. I don't think I'd rewatch it unless my younger cousins were around but I'll definitely catch the sequel when it comes out. Overall I'd put it up there with Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill as one of the rare video-game films that did the source material justice.

Return to “Other Media”