Jazz

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: Jazz

Postby Zack Burner » March 2nd, 2021, 6:27 pm

Anyone ever heard of Nina Simone? Here's one for you all, "My Baby Just Cares for Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYSbUOoq4Vg

Voor

Postby Voor » March 2nd, 2021, 7:15 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Two LPS I picked up recently:
Miles Davis ESP
Bill Evan Portrait of an Artist

To learn more about this stuff I bought a used book off ebay:
The Penguin Guide To Jazz Vol 4

Man, this thing is HUGE. 1745 pages!! It's like a cinder block. Has short reviews on just about every Jazz album ever made, ordered by artist. I think this is more a reference than anything else.

A huge collection of Short reviews? Now why does that sound familiar? Lol

comchia

Postby comchia » March 18th, 2021, 11:23 pm

I recently purchased a new vehicle, and with it, having a working radio again, so I've been digging into the local NPR stations that play jazz at night. It's relaxing, and fitting for a post-work night drive.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 19th, 2021, 1:45 pm

Agreed! I've had similar experiences!

icepeople

Postby icepeople » March 20th, 2021, 4:42 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Two LPS I picked up recently:
Miles Davis ESP
Bill Evan Portrait of an Artist

To learn more about this stuff I bought a used book off ebay:
The Penguin Guide To Jazz Vol 4

Man, this thing is HUGE. 1745 pages!! It's like a cinder block. Has short reviews on just about every Jazz album ever made, ordered by artist. I think this is more a reference than anything else.

Here's the website for the All Music Guide, a similiar reference I used to buy along with Penguin's...and the AMG site really does have reviews (often more than short capsules) of just about every album ever:

https://www.allmusic.com/?cmpredirect

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 20th, 2021, 8:40 pm

If you find that you like E.S.P., I recommend Miles Smiles in the strongest possible terms. It may take a few listens to get used to it, but it's simply spectacular -- not just flashy, but drop-dead beautiful, and even funny. Some days I think it's one of the top 5 jazz albums ever made.

And as I mentioned earlier, Nefertiti is also gorgeous, especially the first two tracks. The title track is striking and unusual, as they just play the melody over and over again: no solos, no anything. Then the next track, "Fall", is one of the most beautiful things Miles ever recorded.

Some people find the Second Great Quintet to be too cerebral, which has never made sense to me: I think their music is incredibly visceral, muscular, and sensitive. It's also unpredictable, which is what I think people see as "cerebral", but it just means that it takes time to get used to a world that's not governed by the same old blues clichés. It doesn't try to sound like some smoky nightclub in a movie; it just is itself.

Return to “Other Media”