Biggest Sports Disappointments

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Biggest Sports Disappointments

Postby jon » October 18th, 2020, 12:35 pm

I’ll always be number 1 with Pete Stoyanich missing a 48 yard Field goal to beat the Chargers in the 1994 playoff to go to the AFC championship game at Pittsburgh. If we had beaten Pittsburgh we would’ve been the 1st team to play the Super Bowl in their own stadium. I went to the Super Bowl with my dad that year.

Also, in 1998 the Dolphins could’ve drafted Randy Moss. That could’ve been Dan Marino throwing to him.

Luigi & Peach

Re: Biggest Sports Disappointments

Postby Luigi & Peach » October 19th, 2020, 6:30 am

As a Cleveland Sports fan since the mid 80's there are too many to list between football, baseball, and basketball.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 19th, 2020, 9:58 am

As a duke anti-fan, I was sad that this near miracle didn’t happen. For such a low percentage shot, I was somehow surprised it DIDNT go in:

https://youtu.be/Ai_bOHGovPg

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 19th, 2020, 4:53 pm

I kind of predicted it after the Wild Card round, but the Ravens losing to the Titans, while I expected it completely, it still very disappointing. That 2019 season was the most fun season I ever had as a Ravens fan. Curbstomping team after team, and the guys looked like they were having a blast doing it. But after New England got beaten by the Titans, I knew that their morale would go up considerably, and they'd come in to Baltimore fully expecting to be able to beat them. Still, I wish the game had been a bit closer. Would have been nice to get another ring.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 19th, 2020, 5:33 pm

^^^are we headed there again? Tennessee looks mighty good, and Ravens seem to struggle if they get in a hole. Oh, and you have those pesky chiefs to contend with too.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » October 19th, 2020, 6:40 pm

This is easy...the current state of the NY Giants. Pitiful. I have been a fan since '81, I have never seen anything as putrid as this. After that you can throw in the NY Mets (or NY Mess as they are currently known as). At least I have my beloved NY Rangers, who are on their way up for sure. Can't wait till the new hockey season starts.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 19th, 2020, 9:00 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:This is easy...the current state of the NY Giants. Pitiful. I have been a fan since '81, I have never seen anything as putrid as this. After that you can throw in the NY Mets (or NY Mess as they are currently known as). At least I have my beloved NY Rangers, who are on their way up for sure. Can't wait till the new hockey season starts.

haha, I could say the same about Dallas. They barely won against your Giants and it only cost Dallas their franchise quarterback for an entire year. We can kiss losing in the first round of the playoffs this year. It's what we do (if we get there). Maybe, our next 20 years will be better...but I'm not holding my breath until Jerry Jones dies or hands the reigns to someone else as the General Manager.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » October 20th, 2020, 6:01 am

Easy; the Steelers losing to the Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX in 1995.

I was living in Germany at the time, and was a life-long Steelers fan because my father was born/raised in Johnstown, PA, and HE was a life-long Steeler fan (and my Grandfather as well). It was a legacy thing, I guess. It had been well over a decade since the Steelers were last in a Super Bowl, and really it had only been a few years since the Steelers were even relevant again (a good part of the 80's were not kind to the Steelers).

My father at the time was slowly dying with Parkinson's disease.

I couldn't be with him during this historic game, separated by 5 time zones and 4,000 miles, but I sat after midnight in my hotel room waiting for kickoff, excited for what I was SURE would be a Steelers win spearheaded by a bone-crunching, hard-nosed Steelers defense that rivaled the famous Steel Curtain of the 70's. I could picture my father, stuck in his wheelchair and having a tough time holding his head up, still excited and happy to finally see his team make it back to the Big Show for what was surely one last time.

Sure enough, the Steelers defense did their part and watching Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland and Rod Woodson all play together in the SB was amazing (the Steelers had made the playoffs the three previous years but this was the first time they made it all the way to the Championship under Bill Cowher). After getting down early they clawed back and got withing 3 points of the Cowboys, twice, but their QB at the time - Neil O'Donnell - couldn't get out of his own way. He threw a total of 3 interceptions during the game and it was too much for the Steelers to overcome. Any fading hope I had that they might be able to pull out a win was snuffed out when O'Donnell threw his second pick, down only 3 points, with just under 4:00 remaining in the game. The Cowboys went on to score a TD and increase their lead by 10, and I knew it was over. Sure enough, O'Donnell continued his choke-fest and threw 4 consecutive incomplete passes on their next possession to allow Dallas to essentially kneel out the clock to end the game (O'Donnell did manage one final pick, his last "hail mary" pass of the game). I had stayed up until 4:00 a.m. local time to watch the game and had been hoping against hope that I'd be calling my dad with a hearty "Congratulations!" phone call, cost be damned, but instead I sat there staring at the tv all alone in total disbelief.

My father died just 2 months later. I would easily trade every Steelers Super Bowl win since then (two), or in the future, for them to have won that game and given my poor Dad just one more Steelers victory before he passed away.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » October 20th, 2020, 8:04 am

I'm a Dolphins fan as well, but mine isn't about them, but about the division rival patriots, and two bone-headed decisions that basically handed them championships in recent years. Every time I think about these, I'm in shock as to how they happened.

First, the Super bowl against the Seahawks. Not giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch, but trying to pass at the 1 yard line. I guess they tried to catch the Patriots off-guard, but they are always prepared. Second was the Falcons blowing the 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl. Still not sure how that happened.

I can't decide which is worse. With the Seahawks, why not just give the ball to Marshawn lynch; I believe it was first and goal, so you had chances.

I think there was a thread here after the Falcons Super Bowl saying that they weren't content with the 28-3 lead and wanted to continue to put up points.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » October 20th, 2020, 9:19 am

As a Twins fan, the billion-year-long playoff losing steak isn't even disappointing; it's expected at this point. My biggest disappointment was probably the 2011 season. After winning 94 games in 2010 and returning the same core, they were decimated by injuries and lost 99 games. I had hopes of watching them fight for the AL pennant and possibly the World Series, but saw them finish last in their division.

Return to “Other Media”