Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
User avatar
velcrozombie
Posts: 617
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby velcrozombie » May 1st, 2024, 10:57 pm

Van Halbgott wrote:
Outside of Hollywood, I was wondering about watching some Hong Kong kung-fu jiang-shi action flick called Encounters of the Spooky Kind from the 1980s that I discovered once but I’m not sure where I can even find the DVD for it being a Hong Kong film and all, and I also might consider something produced by the Shaw Brothers if I could find the right work.

In other words, I explored foreign film markets for my next film, although my local films differ from their foreign ones.


You can watch Encounters of the Spooky Kind on the Criterion Channel, along with the Mr. Vampire films. They offer a free trial:
https://www.criterionchannel.com/encoun ... pooky-kind

Arrow Films have a lot of Shaw Brothers on their streaming service. They also have a free trial:
https://www.arrow-player.com/

DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 2104
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 4th, 2024, 9:05 pm

I'm watching Kung Pow right now, and I keep bouncing between thinking it's good and bad. It's the cinematic equivalent of those Bad Lip Reading videos on YouTube, but it embraces its own crappiness instead of trying to pretend it's something of substance, and that kinda makes me love it.

Zack Burner
Posts: 1285
Joined: May 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » May 4th, 2024, 9:34 pm

Since it's May 4th, I decided to see "Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope" the one that started it all. My mother recalled how she took my cousin to see this the very day it premiered, recalling how long the lines were (no joke), but of course it was worth it all. When I think of the countless times I've seen this, I feel giddy, though I still to this day prefer the original 1977 version than the special edition. The CGI was once cool, but now it looks pretty jarring especially with Jabba, the other effects have remained timeless even when technology marches on. I still love the dejarik scene (the holographic chess game R2 and Chewie played, so much that I managed to make my version of it as a board game myself, made the board myself, and as for the pieces I tried paper, too flimsy, so I bought the 8 creatures in figures), and the makeup of the monsters. Hard to believe only a handful of the cast survives today.....

Zack Burner
Posts: 1285
Joined: May 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » May 12th, 2024, 9:46 am

Celebrating its 30th anniversary the famous dramedy: "Forrest Gump". "Life is like a box of chocolates.....you never know what you're going to get" the famous line that perfectly summarizes the plot. The question now is does this Oscar winner for Best Picture still hold up? The answer is yes all the way! There's the perfect blend of comedy and drama here, many memorable moments that make you laugh one minute (like when Gump shows LBJ his bullet wound square in the rump, or when he tells JFK he has to go pee), to cry another (when his mother is dying still gets me all teary eyed). Then there's the memorable performances from Hanks, Robyn Wright, and Gary Sinise as Lt. Dan. I followed Gump's character over the years, a man whose heart knows what his 75 IQ doesn't. And who would have thought that this one movie left its mark on the world? We now have a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and then there's the Lt. Dan Band run by Sinise himself for wounded vets.

newmodelarmy
Posts: 526
Joined: January 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby newmodelarmy » May 12th, 2024, 10:02 am

Zack Burner wrote:Since it's May 4th, I decided to see "Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope" the one that started it all. My mother recalled how she took my cousin to see this the very day it premiered, recalling how long the lines were (no joke), but of course it was worth it all. When I think of the countless times I've seen this, I feel giddy, though I still to this day prefer the original 1977 version than the special edition. The CGI was once cool, but now it looks pretty jarring especially with Jabba, the other effects have remained timeless even when technology marches on. I still love the dejarik scene (the holographic chess game R2 and Chewie played, so much that I managed to make my version of it as a board game myself, made the board myself, and as for the pieces I tried paper, too flimsy, so I bought the 8 creatures in figures), and the makeup of the monsters. Hard to believe only a handful of the cast survives today.....


I was recently in France and on the return trip back home Delta had the original trilogy as a part of their movie selections. I watched Star Wars: A New Hope for the first time in forever. Man I felt like a kid again! My earliest memories of seeing Star Wars is when it was first released way back in '77, I believe my brother Leo took me to see it and of course like everybody else I was blown away. I also watched Empire Strikes Back as well which is not only my favorite SW movie but my favorite movie of all time. I have vivid memories of going to see that when I was a kid with some friends the day it was released. I had to scrounge up the money to for the ticket (which I believe was $3 at the time) and then we hoofed it over to the cinema (about 2-3 miles) to get their early enough to get tickets. All in all it was a full day but well worth it.

User avatar
velcrozombie
Posts: 617
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby velcrozombie » May 12th, 2024, 11:57 am

Zack Burner wrote:Celebrating its 30th anniversary the famous dramedy: "Forrest Gump". "Life is like a box of chocolates.....you never know what you're going to get" the famous line that perfectly summarizes the plot. The question now is does this Oscar winner for Best Picture still hold up? The answer is yes all the way! There's the perfect blend of comedy and drama here, many memorable moments that make you laugh one minute (like when Gump shows LBJ his bullet wound square in the rump, or when he tells JFK he has to go pee), to cry another (when his mother is dying still gets me all teary eyed). Then there's the memorable performances from Hanks, Robyn Wright, and Gary Sinise as Lt. Dan. I followed Gump's character over the years, a man whose heart knows what his 75 IQ doesn't. And who would have thought that this one movie left its mark on the world? We now have a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and then there's the Lt. Dan Band run by Sinise himself for wounded vets.

I know people who love this movie, but it has aged like milk for me. All the actors do their best and it's technically well-made but I find it to be pretty embarrassing today. It doesn't help that I can't think of Forrest Gump himself without substituting Simple Jack from Tropic Thunder.

User avatar
C64_Critic
Posts: 452
Joined: April 11th, 2015, 11:51 am

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby C64_Critic » May 12th, 2024, 4:27 pm

Last night we watched 2003's "Wrong Turn". I tell ya, they just don't make them like this anymore. It's hardly a spectacular examples of throwback slasher films, but it really does scratch an itch that few modern movies have been able to do.

It's succinct, clocking in at 1:24, which is the perfect length for this film. It doesn't waste too much time on the setup and doesn't unnecessarily draw out the conflict or resolution.
Every babe in the movie is a hottie.
It's unapologetically set in West Virginia and deals with inbred hillbilly mountain folk.
It has a 1967 Ford Mustang for like the first 15 minutes of the movie, a classic beauty.
The violence will make you wince, but it isn't crazy over-the-top and gory for the sake of gore.

It was the perfect popcorn movie for a Saturday night where I didn't want to think too much, just wanted to sit back and be entertained. 8/10 for me. 7/10 from Mrs. C64 Critic, who docked it a single point because she doesn't care that all the babes in the movie were hotties (although she did comment "Gee, funny how the hottest chick in the movie is the one who apparently just got dumped").

Zack Burner
Posts: 1285
Joined: May 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » May 14th, 2024, 10:18 pm

Since I'm going to a Greek Festival this Saturday, I decided to catch something to do with Greek mythology and turned to "Clash of the Titans" (1981) - the last project for the great Ray Harryhausen, even though released when Star Wars blew the art of Stop-motion animation out of the water, this is still a fun ride. The creatures ranging from vultures, a 2 headed dog, scorpions, the satyr creature Calibos (though in some shots an actor in very good makeup), to even Medusa herself are all bursting with life and personality, moving so fluidly. Medusa will haunt your sleep with her glowing eyes, rattle, and archery skills. Balancing off the creatures are the heavyweights such as Burgess Meredith, Ursula Andress, Dame Maggie Smith, and the show-stealer, Sir Lawrence Olivier as Zeus the King of the Gods. You can feel the power in his presence and whenever he speaks! There are some flaws though, the two leads Harry Hamilin (Perseus) and Judie Bowker (Andromeda) are regrettable board stiff in their performances, the romantic angle gets pretty corny and a little overdone, and some Greek myth purists will object to the liberties taken to the myth itself. Otherwise, this is still a fun old time, and how can you go wrong with riding with Pegasus? Forget the remake, it lacks the magic this one had.

User avatar
BlasteroidAli
Posts: 1704
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 15th, 2024, 10:58 am

C64_Critic wrote:Last night we watched 2003's "Wrong Turn". I tell ya, they just don't make them like this anymore. It's hardly a spectacular examples of throwback slasher films, but it really does scratch an itch that few modern movies have been able to do.

It's succinct, clocking in at 1:24, which is the perfect length for this film. It doesn't waste too much time on the setup and doesn't unnecessarily draw out the conflict or resolution.
Every babe in the movie is a hottie.
It's unapologetically set in West Virginia and deals with inbred hillbilly mountain folk.
It has a 1967 Ford Mustang for like the first 15 minutes of the movie, a classic beauty.
The violence will make you wince, but it isn't crazy over-the-top and gory for the sake of gore.

It was the perfect popcorn movie for a Saturday night where I didn't want to think too much, just wanted to sit back and be entertained. 8/10 for me. 7/10 from Mrs. C64 Critic, who docked it a single point because she doesn't care that all the babes in the movie were hotties (although she did comment "Gee, funny how the hottest chick in the movie is the one who apparently just got dumped").

It is a great movie but it might be time to watch the next 6! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrong_Turn_(film_series)

Zack Burner
Posts: 1285
Joined: May 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » May 17th, 2024, 8:26 pm

Continuing Greek myth movie week, "Jason and the Argonauts" (1963), with more Ray Harryhausen magic here, in fact this is often considered his best work, and for good reason. There are 4 monsters here: the bronze giant Talos, 2 harpies, a hydra and the skeletons, you can really see the hard work going into this! Talos is still an ominous sight especially when he creaks his head towards the heroes and moves slowly, the hydra moves very gracefully, and the skeleton fight is nicely choreographed it took months to create! It's not without its flaws though, which are easy to forgive, the performances are ropey at best, with Todd Armstrong as Jason being the highlight. The guy playing Zeus is no match for Sir Lawrence Olivier who had the power and the presence, here he just plods along, though Honor Blackman (yes the same woman know for playing P(censored) Galore) does a good job as a motherly Hera. The final flaw is that it end on an abrupt note, though that was for the best, even if it left a door open for a sequel that never happened.


Return to “Other Media”