Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby jon » May 27th, 2024, 11:52 pm

The way to watch new movies is to go to these DTV releases from aging stars. I liked John Travolta in Pulp Fiction and Face Off like most people but wasn't necessarily a big fan. But I was very impressed with his portrayal of Robert Shapiro in the People Vs. O.J. Simpson series. Like a lot of aging stars, he's had quite the collection of DTV's and frankly imo has had an I don't give a darn attitude to critics. He's chosen a vast array of characters with films he finds interesting and isn't beholden to studios like a lot of actors are. He chooses his movies without having to worry about any of that garbage. I recommend "Killing Season", "Life on the Line", "Trading Paint", "Speed Kills", as examples.

Van Damme very late in his career put out 2 classics "6 Bullets" and "Pound of Flesh". And yes, Steven Seagal himself actually has had the rare good DTV movie although I think rare is the right word. "The Foreigner" is a great film. I like the sequel "Black Dawn", as well as "Out of Reach", "A Dangerous Man", "The Shadow Man", and 2 that normal people actually might like in "Urban Justice" and "Pistol Whipped".

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 29th, 2024, 10:39 pm

Before Jeff Goldblum was famous as a certain "chaotician" in Jurrasic Park he was the unfortunate scientist Seth Brundle who later became......"The Fly" (1986) featuring Geena Davis. Still to this day an effective horror film that even surpasses its original 1950s version. Strong performances from the two leads, the makeup effects are very good, with the slow, gradual deterioration of Seth getting more and more grotesque. Plenty of gross, even frightening scenes such as the arm-wrestling scene which still haunts me even as I write this, to the most frightening scene where Geena Davis imagines her baby as a giant fly larvae which will haunt your sleep. Eventually it gets pretty heartbreaking as you know the inevitable, some have said this movie is a metaphor for a disease, particularly AIDS. This even landed on Gene Siskel's top 10 for 1986, which is really saying something.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 2nd, 2024, 2:19 pm

Seeing all the game reviews for it, I just had to return to the original "Jurassic Park" movie. Still a bonafide masterpiece, an artistic thrill ride, a morality tale, all rolled into one. The performances are great, especially for the young ones, the effects still hold up, yes even the CGI parts, and you really feel the tension the characters feel. However, I still feel the best way to view this, if you can, is on a big screen (which happened last year for me at my performing arts center where it was doubled with a concert, couldn't be more perfect!). I can return to this movie time and time again, and it never gets old.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 2nd, 2024, 4:53 pm

I saw Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom the other night, and what a waste of Jason Mamoa as Aquaman. This movie was a series of action sequences with no reason to care. Black Manta is also wasted.

From the very start this movie was a mess. The opening scene has Aquaman rescuing some navy ship from a band of pirates. This should have been a straight up ass-kicking scene, but instead they intercut it with scenes of Aquaman playing with action figures in front of his baby son. So lame!!

James Wan is very overrated as a director. He needs to stick to the horror flicks. This film is just another nail in the superhero coffin.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 2nd, 2024, 5:36 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Before Jeff Goldblum was famous as a certain "chaotician" in Jurrasic Park he was the unfortunate scientist Seth Brundle who later became......"The Fly" (1986) featuring Geena Davis. Still to this day an effective horror film that even surpasses its original 1950s version. Strong performances from the two leads, the makeup effects are very good, with the slow, gradual deterioration of Seth getting more and more grotesque. Plenty of gross, even frightening scenes such as the arm-wrestling scene which still haunts me even as I write this, to the most frightening scene where Geena Davis imagines her baby as a giant fly larvae which will haunt your sleep. Eventually it gets pretty heartbreaking as you know the inevitable, some have said this movie is a metaphor for a disease, particularly AIDS. This even landed on Gene Siskel's top 10 for 1986, which is really saying something.

The Fly has such amazing practical effects. Love that movie.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 2nd, 2024, 9:19 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I saw Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom the other night, and what a waste of Jason Mamoa as Aquaman. This movie was a series of action sequences with no reason to care. Black Manta is also wasted.

From the very start this movie was a mess. The opening scene has Aquaman rescuing some navy ship from a band of pirates. This should have been a straight up ass-kicking scene, but instead they intercut it with scenes of Aquaman playing with action figures in front of his baby son. So lame!!

James Wan is very overrated as a director. He needs to stick to the horror flicks. This film is just another nail in the superhero coffin.

I have seen that movie as well. It stinks. I thought it would have been average at about 1.30 mins but it just kept going on and on. If you have not watched it, the Flash which came out last year is great. It has a shaky start but just gets better.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 3rd, 2024, 6:06 am

"Intimate Stories" (2002) - Argentine movie about 3 people with different goals/destinies, one is a single woman with her baby who has to take part in a game show, a man with OCD trying to deliver a cake for his would-be girlfriend's son, and an old man who wants to reclaim his dog after an incident. All 3 have different results, sometimes with a touch of irony, but all with heartwarming moments.

"Down Argentine Way" (1940) - starring Don Ameche and the debuting Carmen Miranda, one of those old-fashioned Hollywood musicals with corny, forgettable songs. Corny is a relative term, but at the same time was controversial as the Argentine folk saw it as a misinterpretation of their culture, this movie definitely won't fly today. There's one redeemable moment though, an appearance of the Nicholas Brothers, whose dancing style put Michael Jackson to instant shame.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 3rd, 2024, 8:48 am

Robocop 2. Seen the original a few times but never got around to this one until now. Fun movie with some incredible special effects (probably the best stop-motion ever animated), but it's an overall much dumber take on the character and themes, and Robocop himself is weirdly sidelined for a lot of the movie. The evil kid kingpin is a good example of the general approach; he's fun to watch but still a really stupid idea. The bad guy is literally named ROBOCOP 2. You get the picture.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 4th, 2024, 2:44 am

Myself and the missus sat down and watched Carnage the other day. No, not the black comedy that came out in 2011 that was directed by Roman Polanski and starred Jodie Foster. But the low budget horror flick that came out in 1983 and was directed by Andy Milligan. My girlfriend has this DVD compilation with a bunch of old and obscure horror flicks from the late 50's all the way to the late 80's on it, and this one was the very first one featured on it. So we decided to sit down and watch it. It features some really bad special effects (one death scene was so bad and fake looking that I bust a gut laughing at it. i'm not gonna tell you which one it is, though. You'll have to see for yourself) and some questionable acting chops from some of the cast members. But in spite of all this, it was still a pretty decent movie where the story held itself together reasonably well. Basically, the plot of the movie involves a newlywed couple moving into an old house. A house in which the previous owners, which were another newlywed couple, wind up killing themselves in the house three years prior, resulting in their spirits being trapped in the house. Spirits that wind up tormenting the couple, their maid and some of their friends who stop by for a house warming party, eventually killing the maid, some of the guests and finally, the married couple themselves. Who wind up joining the ghosts of the previous owners of the old house to haunt whoever buys the house next. As said, it's low budget, and is certainly no lost classic. But in terms of entertaining both myself and the girfriend, it did a really good job. I'll give it a solid 6.5 out of 10.

Also, the movie poster is pretty cool looking, as seen below.....
Attachments
Screenshot (1313).png
Screenshot (1313).png (417.94 KiB) Viewed 499 times

Breaker

Postby Breaker » June 5th, 2024, 7:59 pm

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this, and I'm kinda surprised... Watched The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare Monday night (also saw it in the theater way back in March). It's a fun ride. Lots of bloody warfare, and some poetic license taken, but based on a true story and a fun cast to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and would recommend it.

Return to “Other Media”