Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » July 2nd, 2022, 10:08 pm

Caught another swashbuckler, "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad". This gets better with every viewing, a nice touch of adventure with the fantastical, the dashing Sinbad, the beautiful compassionate Parisa, the diabolical Sokoura, and the real stars the creations of Ray Harryhausen. Gotta love the cyclops, the 2 headed Roc, the skeleton, and the dragon. You feel sorry for the Dragon as it's chained to the wall and then cheer for it as it battles a cyclops. The skeleton fight has astounding choreography, and it holds up well. All in all a very magical nostalgic movie.

Up next is the great but hard to find documentary: "The Endless Summer"

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 9th, 2022, 10:03 pm

Made some plan changes and saw the following:

The Blob (1958) - Steve McQueen in a monster movie with some low budget blob effects

Adventures of Mark Twain (1985) - clay animated feature by Will Vinton about the famous author attempting to meet his destiny at Haley's Comet

The Wolf Man (1941) - Lon Chaney plus Bela Lugosi and Claude Rains in the Universal Studios monster classic

Fire and Ice (1983) - Ralph Bakshi animated feature with some assistance from Frank Franzetta and it shows. Fantastic animation, hot babe Teegra, badass Darkwolf, and resourceful Larn are the perfect heroic trio.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 11th, 2022, 9:13 pm

Just finished watching the 1966 documentary Endless Summer. Very good, captivating documentary about surfing as two men Michael Hynson and Robert August travel the globe to find the "perfect wave". The question is will they find it? And what else will they find? This one's hard to find, so to help reduce the stress of searching here's where you can watch it for free:

https://archive.org/details/img-1442

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » July 12th, 2022, 11:49 am

Memphis Belle

WWII movie about men on their last bombing mission. Starts slow, but the airplane scenes are gripping. Some dated but neat FX. First saw it when I was 9 or 10; surprised my parents let me watch it back then.

Dick Tracey

Loose plot structure, like a newspaper comic. Made it a bit hard to follow, & a few plot points got lost along the way. About halfway through the movie, they decide to use musical montages for everything. Well, I guess that makes sense; they hired Madonna, so why not use her talent? Problem is, it makes things even harder to follow.

The film uses matte paintings & models for most long shots, plus bright colors & heavy makeup on most characters. They really wanted it to look like the comic. It's odd, but cool. That phrase might describe the entire film; odd, but cool. It's watchable, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. And yet for some reason I want to see it again, to see if I missed some stuff.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 14th, 2022, 9:37 pm

Free Willy - Haven't seen this since I was a kid, but after watching a BBC short online video of a woman rescued by a whale, I decided to return to this. It's held up quite nicely, you feel for both the kid and Willy, and smile triumphantly when he makes the big jump, and capped off with Michael Jackson's "Will You Be There". An iconic 90's movie for those who grew up in that era, myself included.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 16th, 2022, 4:17 pm

Just finished watching another 1993 hit: "The Fugitive" with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones (in an Oscar and Golden Globe winning performance). A real edge-of-your seat thriller that will have you gripping your seat and guessing till the bitter end. You root for Kimble as he fights for his life and tries to discover the true killer and a whole conspiracy theory. Jones reprised in U.S. Marshals with Wesley Snipes playing the fugitive that time.

Coming up: Hercules 2014 with Dwayne Johnson as the title character.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 16th, 2022, 4:21 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Just finished watching another 1993 hit: "The Fugitive" with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones (in an Oscar and Golden Globe winning performance). A real edge-of-your seat thriller that will have you gripping your seat and guessing till the bitter end. You root for Kimble as he fights for his life and tries to discover the true killer and a whole conspiracy theory. Jones reprised in U.S. Marshals with Wesley Snipes playing the fugitive that time.

Coming up: Hercules 2014 with Dwayne Johnson as the title character.

I agree, The Fugitive is a classic thriller, one I need to watch again
Used to watch it a lot when visiting my Grandmother back in the late 90s.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 3rd, 2022, 8:24 pm

I'm a Dragonball Z fan, just finished watching one of the shortest but most memorable of it's movies: Super Android 13. Goku has to put up with 3 of Dr. Gero's remaining androids 14, 15, and the aforementioned 13. Won't be easy, but at least he's also got Vegeta, Trunks, and Piccolo backing him up.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 7th, 2022, 10:41 pm

Hercules (2014) a guilty pleasure sword and sandals movie since I love Greek Mythology. Dwayne Johnson is perfect as Hercules capturing not only his battle prowess but also the deep struggles from his past. Ingrid Bolso Berdal is a great Atalanta, looks terrific (love the outfit and the abs), and can shoot arrows with deadly accuracy plus has great chemistry with Johnson. A lite version of 300 but no matter, John Hurt (yes the late great one) is a terrific villain. Makes me think of the TV series Hercules the Legendary Journeys with Kevin Sorbo.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 14th, 2022, 10:44 pm

One of my favorite summer pastimes was going to the horse races almost every year. In fact I live several miles from one place that does it, the Saratoga Race Track. The one movie I just finished that rekindled that spirit was "Seabiscuit" with Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges, Elizabeth Banks, and Chris Cooper. I always cheer whenever Seabiscuit gives the rival horse War Admiral a run for his money, and leaves the owner (whom I call a "Winston Churchill Wannabe") in shambles.

Coming up an underrated live-action Disney fantasy I haven;t seen in years: "Flight of the Navigator" with an unmistakable voice for anyone who grew up in the 80's

Return to “Other Media”