Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
matmico399

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby matmico399 » August 11th, 2021, 8:13 pm

I just saw Stillwater with Matt Damon. Very impressed and a very good film. It's probably Damon's best performance. And that's saying a lot. I would highly suggest this to everyone. A very gripping drama.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » August 11th, 2021, 9:16 pm

Lots of films over the last few weeks. I'll add the rest later in another post.

Psychomania (1973): Odd mix of biker, occult and zombie genres. Youthful motorcycle gang sell their souls and commit suicide to return from the dead and raise (relatively restrained) hell. Some moody rural atmosphere, impressive stuntwork and a doom-metal opening theme. Sampled by Electric Wizard. (B-)

The Old Dark House (1932): Early mix of horror and comedy from James Whale (Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Invisible Man). Some awkward tonal shifts - sometimes it feels like a Mel Brooks film, other times it plays the material (about a group of travelers taking shelter for the night in an old mansion full of eccentric and/or dangerous characters) straight. Good performances all around. (B)

The Amusement Park (1975): Once-lost George Romero film, a 54-minute PSA on aging commissioned by the Lutheran Service Society of Western Pennsylvania. Romero uses the backdrop of an amusement park to show the many ways the elderly can be abused, ignored, taken advantage of or stripped of their dignity. It has the disjointed, illogical feel of a nightmare and a few inventive setpieces, although the carnival concept gets stretched a little thin. Worth it for fans and the curious. (B-)

Daimajin (1966): Mix of samurai and kaiju genres. A coup brings a cruel ruler into power who enslaves his citizens; years later, the grown children of the previous ruler awaken a mountain god in the form of a giant stone statue to make things right. An hour of a competent period samurai drama followed by 25 minutes of glorious kaiju destruction. (B)

Near Dark (1987): Mix of vampire film with western/road movie. Young man falls for a mysterious girl who bites him; he's scooped up by her "family", a roving pack of vampires who ravage the backroads and small towns of the South. Tensions build as he is urged to make his first kill, while his father and younger sister search for him after witnessing his kidnapping. Awesome film. Bill Paxton gives a standout performance as the most bloodthirsty and unhinged of the vampires. (A-)

Zack Burner wrote:Bad Taste (1987) - Peter Jackson's very first movie, done with a shoestring budget but very effective. Neat gore effects, though it's not for everyone especially the squeamish. If you can stomach it you'll find it very rewarding. Peter Jackson has mulitple roles as well!

Bad Taste is lots of gross fun. I wish Peter Jackson would do another low-budget flick (at least compared to his blockbuster days - say $5 million or so) with some young unknowns out in the middle of the New Zealand countryside. I know you still got it in you, Peter!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 13th, 2021, 8:49 pm

Just saw another of Peter Jackson's works: Braindead a.k.a. Dead-Alive, often considered one of the bloodiest movies of all time. Horror and gore fans rejoice. Too many good moments to not love here: the Sumatran Rat-Monkey is too ugly to not like (done with stop-motion), Father McGruder the Kung Fu Catholic priest with this immortal cult quote: "I kick arse for the lord!", the giant Vera zombie, the baby zombie, and the best part, Lionel using a lawnmower on the zombies. Don't miss a brief cameo of Peter Jackson himself as the bumbling assistant to an undertaker. Find the uncut version for best results, found one on good old Youtube. Catch it while you can!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 18th, 2021, 2:31 pm

One of the greatest family and cult movies ever made, The Princess Bride.

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!" - greatest cult quote ever!

Everytime I watch it, it gets better and better. I mean, what's not to like? The unforgettable cast, the satire on fantasy, the quotes, the duels, and of course the geniusly funny scenes. Who could forget Andre the Giant as the loveable Fezzik? Who could forget Vizzini's die laughing moment after boasting, gosh there's too many to name!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 18th, 2021, 3:41 pm

Zack Burner wrote:One of the greatest family and cult movies ever made, The Princess Bride.

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!" - greatest cult quote ever!

Everytime I watch it, it gets better and better. I mean, what's not to like? The unforgettable cast, the satire on fantasy, the quotes, the duels, and of course the geniusly funny scenes. Who could forget Andre the Giant as the loveable Fezzik? Who could forget Vizzini's die laughing moment after boasting, gosh there's too many to name!

Did you know it was based on a book written by the same guy that wrote Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, William Goldman?

It's great! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IEJZRY/re ... TF8&btkr=1 Get the hardback edition as it's beautiful.

There's also an Audible making of the movie by Carey Elwes - "As You Wish" that tells some great stories about the making of the class. https://www.audible.com/pd/As-You-Wish- ... B00NLEVIRG

Andre the Giant used to call everyone boss to put them at ease due to his alarming size. He sounds like he was a class act all the way.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 18th, 2021, 3:52 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:One of the greatest family and cult movies ever made, The Princess Bride.

Did you know it was based on a book written by the same guy that wrote Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, William Goldman?

It's great! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IEJZRY/re ... TF8&btkr=1 Get the hardback edition as it's beautiful.

There's also an Audible making of the movie by Carey Elwes - "As You Wish" that tells some great stories about the making of the class. https://www.audible.com/pd/As-You-Wish- ... B00NLEVIRG

Andre the Giant used to call everyone boss to put them at ease due to his alarming size. He sounds like he was a class act all the way.

Indeed, Andre felt that making the movie was the only time in his life where he felt proud, happy, and treated like an equal rather than a freak, for the movie explores humanity rather than monstrosity. Actress Robyn Wright, once said that Andre kept her warm just with one of his giant hands, you can see the tears in her eyes. Andre will be greatly missed.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 18th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Boss level with Frank Grillo. A violent groundhog day. The best bit of the movie is when he goes to an old school arcade to see his son. Lots of good jokes and it is like a video game hence.. boss level 10 out 10

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 23rd, 2021, 9:52 pm

The Blob (1958) - Figured this movie would be most metaphorically appropriate for what were dealing with! Featuring young Steve McQueen (you heard right), the original shapeless mass of terror that consumes people. Cheesy, yes indeed, the fluidity effects are great fun, if you can suspend your disbelief that is. It's not without a few flaws though, the drama scenes take too long, between the exciting blob scenes themselves, and when the blob gets to full mass in the climax, it loses credibility, plus released around the same time as "Rebel Without a Cause" the whole schtick of "teenagers-just-want-to-be-understood" has worn thin. Other than that, the cheesiness of it all saves it and makes it enjoyable.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 23rd, 2021, 11:49 pm

Zack Burner wrote:The Blob (1958) - Figured this movie would be most metaphorically appropriate for what were dealing with! Featuring young Steve McQueen (you heard right), the original shapeless mass of terror that consumes people. Cheesy, yes indeed, the fluidity effects are great fun, if you can suspend your disbelief that is. It's not without a few flaws though, the drama scenes take too long, between the exciting blob scenes themselves, and when the blob gets to full mass in the climax, it loses credibility, plus released around the same time as "Rebel Without a Cause" the whole schtick of "teenagers-just-want-to-be-understood" has worn thin. Other than that, the cheesiness of it all saves it and makes it enjoyable.

It was great in the 70s when I first saw it. There is a sequel but it is not as good as the first movie.

There is a really excellent 80s remake. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094761/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Also Phantoms the Dean Koontz novel made into a movie is great. Though not as good as the book.https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119891/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 26th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - another summer monster movie, one that has held up quite well, the underwater scenes, the acting, the haunting music, and the costume of the creature still holds up! Even better Ricou Browning, the actor who plays the creature is still alive! The Gill-man which is what the creature is called, is just like Frankenstein, a sympathetic monster, you can't help but feel sorry for it, trying to protect it's home area, and being the last of its kind. You do feel a little relieved when that gosh awful Mark gets his comeuppance with the Creature for his trophy hunting mentality.

Return to “Other Media”