Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
velcrozombie

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby velcrozombie » March 27th, 2021, 2:02 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Personally I saw Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels last night for the first time. This has been in my Netflix queue forever! I heard it was inspired by Pulp Fiction and I can see that. There are a lot of intertwining storylines.

I thought it was pretty confusing because there are so many characters in this. However the wife and I enjoyed watching it all the way through. Funny how it looked like an "aged" movie but came out in 1999.

A very good film that I need to rewatch. The debut of director Guy Ritchie (who later did Snatch, a similar film with big Hollywood stars and a higher budget), Jason Statham and former footballer Vinnie Jones. The film probably looks older because it was shot on 16mm for budgetary reasons and later blown-up to 35mm.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 27th, 2021, 11:56 pm

Caddyshack (1980)

AMC theaters (at least, the ones near us) are offering the option to rent a theater for a private party of up to 20 guests. The prices were $149 for a new release and $99 for "fan favorites." I booked a theater for tonight and chose Caddyshack from the fan favorites menu. We had 17 people there.

Still a fun movie, and Bill Murray is just so damn deadpan that's he's hilarious. Some of the jokes are off color, especially in today's world, but they aren't mean spirited. There were 6 people in our party that were between 14 and 18, and 5 of them had never seen it. They all thought it was hilarious.

The whole idea of renting a theater for a private party was fun. I'd do it again, especially if I could have a little more freedom in picking the movie. The current lineup of fan favorites include a handful of films I'd see, but I'd really love to be able to choose an old Bond film or something.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 28th, 2021, 8:16 am

Sound of Metal I saw last night. Great movie, wouldn't be surprised if it walks away with an Oscar or two.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 28th, 2021, 6:55 pm

velcrozombie wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Personally I saw Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels last night for the first time. This has been in my Netflix queue forever! I heard it was inspired by Pulp Fiction and I can see that. There are a lot of intertwining storylines.

I thought it was pretty confusing because there are so many characters in this. However the wife and I enjoyed watching it all the way through. Funny how it looked like an "aged" movie but came out in 1999.

A very good film that I need to rewatch. The debut of director Guy Ritchie (who later did Snatch, a similar film with big Hollywood stars and a higher budget), Jason Statham and former footballer Vinnie Jones. The film probably looks older because it was shot on 16mm for budgetary reasons and later blown-up to 35mm.

How do you "blow up" a film to 35mm??

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 28th, 2021, 8:01 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:The Snyder cut of Justice League.

Just do yourself a favor, and don't try to watch the whole thing in an entire sitting.

This thing is paced more like a miniseries than a movie.

Great write up

I watched it over a whole week and actually enjoyed it. There were parts that needed some serious editing. The singing part by the girls when Aquaman enters the water was atrocious and way too long and weird.

There were a few slow mo scenes that could have been shortened. Regardless, it was far better than the original .

It's worth a watch as long you don't try to do it in one sitting.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » March 28th, 2021, 10:44 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:How do you "blow up" a film to 35mm??

With an optical printer. Basically, they project the film in a small box & re-photograph it in 35mm. It’s the same way they’d blow up a 35mm negative to a 8x11 print.

How does this save money? Well... Even a low budget movie would have a few retakes & alternate shots. By shooting in 16mm they could create a final edit before enlarging it to the theater standard of 35mm. Also, if the film was produced independently, then sold to a distributor, the distributor would be the one baring the cost of the enlargement, saving the production company money up front. (Just a guess.)

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 6th, 2021, 10:51 pm

I watched War with Grandpa it has Rob Deniro in it. Very funny. I thought it was going to be cringeworthy but I was pleasantly surprised. DeNiro is at the height of his comedy acting powers in this endearing family drama. Well worth a watch. B+

Songbird. I saw this evil movie about Slavery by a guy called Adam Mason. It mixed Saw with John Fowles The collector. Savage but watchable. So imagine my surprise to see he has a medium budget SF out on Amazon Prime. Demi Moore is in it. Looking rather old but still rather yummy. The plague has come. Everyone has to stay in doors. If an infected person is in the building they are brought out and everyone else is checked for infection. The infected are put in their walled part of the city. A ghetto if you like. Though there is a black market way of getting out and about via special passes. That is all I am going to say about it. I was rather surprised as it was great. B+

Both the above are prime.

Star Trek the Motion Picture. Blu ray. I have been watching this one for the last 40 years. Superb and better than anything by JJ Abrahams.

Star Ship Troopers. Blu ray. Just superb. One of my fave movies.

I think I will also watch Battle Los Angeles on blu tomorrow. Another of my fave movies. USA versus the aliens. I am on the side of the US of A. A++

Also I watched the Mauritian. I had heard really good things about it. It is a very competent movie. It plays the heart strings just right. So it should be an a plus movie. It is basically a remake of the Shawshank redemption. Though he uses lawyers to tunnel out of Guantanamo bay. Or that is the premise of the movie. There is a lot of American hating in the subtext of the movie. If you view it as shot America is bad. Biden and Obama are EVIL and so is Bush but mostly Obama. Which is a strange line to take considering it is a BBC movie. On closer inspection it is also a Stx film. This is a Chinese mob and just now from where I am there is a certain antithesis about the US from China. I got the feeling that there might be some cultural imperialism as a subtext to the movie. Stx films could have made a movie about the hundreds of thousands detained by the Chinese but chose to make a movie about America. Similarly Britain has been sending the Windrush generation back to Jamaica quite illegally. The BBC are not making a movie about that. What I am trying to say it is the pot calling the kettle black.
Given the extra thought I give it a C. If you don't read into the subtext and as a competent remake of the Shawshank redemption, it is a good b+.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » April 14th, 2021, 8:11 pm

The Dark Crystal (1982) - I never had the chance to experience this Jim Henson fantasy as a kid, but looking at it now, I'm convinced it has stood the test of time! The puppetry in this is second to none, moving fluidly and well expressed with grace unparalleled. I love the imagination in this one, with a Tolkein style storyline. Needs more respect, it's Henson's bonafide masterpiece. I'm convinced even more that puppetry (as well as stop-motion animation) is way more convincing and connecting than CGI these days.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 14th, 2021, 9:52 pm

Zack Burner wrote:The Dark Crystal (1982) - I never had the chance to experience this Jim Henson fantasy as a kid, but looking at it now, I'm convinced it has stood the test of time! The puppetry in this is second to none, moving fluidly and well expressed with grace unparalleled. I love the imagination in this one, with a Tolkein style storyline. Needs more respect, it's Henson's bonafide masterpiece. I'm convinced even more that puppetry (as well as stop-motion animation) is way more convincing and connecting than CGI these days.

I am glad you enjoyed it. It has always been a fave of mine. Think they recently made a tv series of it. It is on netflix and it is a prequel. Think I watched one and liked it then watched something else and forgot about it. I will got back and look at it again.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 18th, 2021, 5:51 pm

Ford v. Ferrari

Good movie with some cool cars. Don’t want to say more to avoid spoilers.

Return to “Other Media”