Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ActRaiser

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby ActRaiser » February 6th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Voor wrote:Oh, and I know it’s not a movie, but anyone watching WandaVision?? I think it’s amazing—best thing Marvel has done in a while. Very clever.

This guy!

It's the best thing on TV since the Mandalorian. :)

I'm pretty behind on movies. I watched John Wick 1 and 2 over the Christmas break. Both are epic and highly awesome.

Wonder Woman 1984 was about an hour too long. So much could have been trimmed or cut to make a great movie. Unfortunately, they couldn't choose and the end result was something no one will ever want to watch a second time.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 6th, 2021, 6:13 pm

I know what you mean about movies being too long. Too many times I'll say about a movie, "it was okay, but could have been great if they had hired an editor!"

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 6th, 2021, 6:35 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I know what you mean about movies being too long. Too many times I'll say about a movie, "it was okay, but could have been great if they had hired an editor!"

Some epics are worth every minute like Ten Commandments, Doctor Zjavago, Lawrence of Arabia, and the LOTR Trilogy.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » February 6th, 2021, 6:53 pm

I’ll give Wandavision another try. My wife and I thought Episode 1 was kinda painful, not gonna lie. But if Actraiser and Voor say it’s good, I’ll give the next episodes a shot.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 6th, 2021, 7:45 pm

So the “real” plot of wandavision comes in small pieces that gradually get bigger with each episode, becoming very revealing by episode 5. Also, the first episode is in the vein of a 50s sitcom, the 2nd in the 60s, 3rd 70s, and so forth. So as a fan of sitcoms, I liked that.

Yeah, the mandalorian was good. I had kind of forgotten about it. I’m not a big Star Wars guy, but I liked it more than 80% of the movies. Lol. It’s kind of campy, but that’s a SW thing. Still like wandavision more—it has a cool element of mystery that hooked me.

As I’ve gotten older, I can barely tolerate going to the movies. No issues with the people or sound or anything like that, but if a movie is going to be over 90 minutes, I need to be able to take a break. Also, I watch subtitles with everything, so I miss that in the theatre.

Oh and I also liked the John Wicks. Doesn’t try to be deep or artsy or whatever, just cool action. I love how the sequels take place immediately after the movie before. None of that “5 years later” stuff.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 7th, 2021, 9:29 am

If you want to get psyched up for snow, Cliffhanger's the movie to watch.

This is an old-fashioned action movie like momma used to make. Stallone was in top form and John Lithgow played the cold blooded villain. Classic!

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 7th, 2021, 1:46 pm

I have Cliffhanger on the Genesis, but I've actually never seen the movie. Might have to change that one of these days...

Tron

Postby Tron » February 7th, 2021, 7:09 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Agreed! This is just about the only site I still like!

My apologies to you & the rest of the forum

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 7th, 2021, 9:31 pm

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Although I was just out of college when this movie came out, and I was certainly aware of the hype and marketing, I had never seen this film until this weekend. I've never read any Tolkien, either.

19 years later...I'd say it still holds up. Obviously the story is much older than that, and is another allegory for the much, much older good vs evil theme. But purely from a visual, storytelling perspective the movie still looks good. The special effects are strong and don't really look dated.

My wife and I plan to watch the rest of the trilogy, and I'm looking forward to it. That says quite a bit, in my mind.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 8th, 2021, 6:12 am

Breaker wrote:The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Although I was just out of college when this movie came out, and I was certainly aware of the hype and marketing, I had never seen this film until this weekend. I've never read any Tolkien, either.

19 years later...I'd say it still holds up. Obviously the story is much older than that, and is another allegory for the much, much older good vs evil theme. But purely from a visual, storytelling perspective the movie still looks good. The special effects are strong and don't really look dated.

My wife and I plan to watch the rest of the trilogy, and I'm looking forward to it. That says quite a bit, in my mind.

Ah yes, good old Lord of the Rings. Glad to hear someone say it holds up! I've actually been to 2 locations where the franchise was filmed one in the north island and one in the south island. The South Island was where the trip to Minas Tirith was, where the warg attack was. I got to wear Frodo's cloack and hold Sting! the North Island was where Hobbiton was, the interiors of Bag End however were done elsewhere though.

Return to “Other Media”