Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Gleebergloben123

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Gleebergloben123 » February 11th, 2021, 9:56 am

ActRaiser wrote:
Voor wrote:Oh, and I know it’s not a movie, but anyone watching WandaVision?? I think it’s amazing—best thing Marvel has done in a while. Very clever.

This guy!

It's the best thing on TV since the Mandalorian. :)

My wife and I gave WandaVision another shot after being rather dumbfounded by how bizarre episode 1 was. But you two were right, it really is an exciting, amazingly unfolding show and we can’t wait for episode 6.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 11th, 2021, 11:22 am

Voor wrote:As I’ve gotten older, I can barely tolerate going to the movies. No issues with the people or sound or anything like that, but if a movie is going to be over 90 minutes, I need to be able to take a break. Also, I watch subtitles with everything, so I miss that in the theatre.

For me TV shows have become more challenging as I've gotten older. The commitment that comes with a sustained narrative feels like a job after a while no matter how much I'm enjoying myself and I rarely keep up with one beyond the second or third season - which in turn discourages me from starting another show since I know I probably won't complete it, and so on.

Films are no problem, especially in a theater - I'll give my absolute focus for however long it is (and some of the Marvel films were real patience-testers) since I know that I never have to watch it again if it sucks.

EDIT: I will say that sometimes I know I just didn't "get" a movie or just wasn't in the mood for it and I will rewatch those at some point even if I didn't enjoy them. Some of my favorite films (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Big Lebowski) have only come from a second watch months or years later. Albums can be like this as well.
Last edited by velcrozombie on February 13th, 2021, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 11th, 2021, 4:05 pm

Agree about the TV shows. I don't even like committing more than 2 hours to a movie!

Unfortunately it seems like steaming services like Netflix are trying to steer viewers away from movies and towards the shows. Their movie catalogs are dwindling. The disk-based service is looking better all the time!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 11th, 2021, 6:31 pm

For Christmas I got The Fall Guy season 1.

It's flipping awesome. We used to watch it when I was a kid. It's all about a stunt man in Hollywood who works as a bounty hunter in between stunt work.

I think you guys might enjoy it. It occassionally has cameos from some of the bigger actors in the day and stars Lee Majors from the 6 Million Dollar Man series.

Anyways, it's all goofy fun with no long running stories. I watched the the entire season over the month of January without realizing it.

Tron

Postby Tron » February 13th, 2021, 11:59 pm

Hell comes to Frogtown 1988

I loved (They Live) with Rowdy Roddy Piper so I had to check out this flick. Thankfully the full movie is on YouTube.

The movie was good, but not great. Roddy was good, but it didn’t showcase his wrestling much. The frogs makeup was real good. Nowadays it would just be done with computer graphics, the makeup is way better. Unfortunately the main actress wasn’t very good looking at all.

Some good action. Good “B” movie.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 22nd, 2021, 5:50 pm

Here's something I never thought I'd say: Batman vs the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles just became one of my favorite movies.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 22nd, 2021, 7:13 pm

Tron wrote:Hell comes to Frogtown 1988

I loved (They Live) with Rowdy Roddy Piper so I had to check out this flick. Thankfully the full movie is on YouTube.

The movie was good, but not great. Roddy was good, but it didn’t showcase his wrestling much. The frogs makeup was real good. Nowadays it would just be done with computer graphics, the makeup is way better. Unfortunately the main actress wasn’t very good looking at all.

Some good action. Good “B” movie.

Oh yes, I have a soft spot for "They Live" as well! Good political insights in the movie, and who could forget the immortal line of Piper: "I have come here to chew bubblegum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of Bubblegum". And then there's: "Mama don't like tattletales!". I love the funny street fight between Piper and Keith David with a few wrestling techniques; drop toe hold, sprinboard backdrop, and gutwrench suplex.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 22nd, 2021, 11:38 pm

Watched Anvil! The Story of Anvil tonight. A documentary on the Canadian thrash-metal veterans, the film briefly recounts Anvil's early-80s peak (their first two records predated the debuts from the American thrash-metal "Big Four") accompanied by fawning soundbites from their musical peers (Lars Urlich, Lemmy, Slash, Scott Ian and Tom Araya among them) before dropping you in present-day 2006, where the band solders on as working-class men in their 50s with families and day jobs. The core of the film is the relationship between singer/guitarist Steve "Lips" Kudlow and drummer Robb Reiner, who've played together ever since high school and know each other as well as most married couples. The group (now Kudlow and Reiner with a couple of younger former fans) struggles through a disastrous European tour and desperately seeks to fund the recording of their 13th album, hoping to reunite with the producer from their glory days and interest a major label with the finished product. I've heard this film compared to This Is Spınal Tap and I can see it both with the flamboyant stage show and hilariously juvenile lyrics of the early days and the current-day slide into obsolesce, but the film is surprisingly sad and there's a lot of emotional weight in both Kudlow's sincere desire to be recognized for his decades of hard work and the toll that the years of disappointment and frustration have taken on his friendship with Reiner. The film itself has a bit of a made-for-TV feel and maybe the happy ending is a little tidy after what we've witnessed over the previous hour but it works since you want so badly for these guys to have at least a small victory to hang onto. I wasn't familiar with their music prior to watching this film but I'm going to give Metal on Metal a listen now. (Remarkably, the band has continued on as a trio and released their 18th album last year)

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 23rd, 2021, 6:20 am

Recently I caught this old movie, before there was King Kong, there was The Lost World, from the book by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The dinosaurs in this one still look good, the Brontosaurus, Triceratops, T-Rex, and Pteranodon. Unlike Kong, the Bronto survives after rampaging through the city and breaking the London Bridge.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 23rd, 2021, 8:41 am

Zack Burner wrote:Recently I caught this old movie, before there was King Kong, there was The Lost World, from the book by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The dinosaurs in this one still look good, the Brontosaurus, Triceratops, T-Rex, and Pteranodon. Unlike Kong, the Bronto survives after rampaging through the city and breaking the London Bridge.

I haven't seen the film yet but I'm pretty sure I've seen some of the dinosaur footage on Muppet Babies as a child.

Return to “Other Media”