Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » April 29th, 2021, 5:04 am

Nomadland - the Oscar winning film for best film I watched last night. Artistic and engaging, yet pretty depressing simultaneously. Very thought provoking of life in America when the economy hits the nation, and people have few possessions and decide to find a new home, as the main character experiences after losing her husband, home, job, even hometown.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 2nd, 2021, 5:48 pm

I saw Cool World last night in preparation for reviewing the SNES game. How bad can a movie be with Brad Pitt, Kim Basinger, and Gabrielle Byrne? Pretty bad! In fact, this may be the worst flick I've ever forced myself to sit through. I think that's how I'll begin my review.

It's kind of like a "mature" version of Roger Rabbit, with cartoons and people commingling in the same scenes. The cartoon characters are just obnoxious, and it's hard to tell what's going on. The only thing this movie has going for it is the art style. The twisted surrealistic cartoon scenery looks pretty amazing. Maybe I'll be able to delve into some of that in the game.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 2nd, 2021, 5:55 pm

A few nights ago I watched this movie, the last movie I was expecting my mother to suggest we watch: Paddington 2. That's right one of two movies based on a beloved book character. Much better than I thought, delightful for everyone regardless of age and featuring some Harry Potter actors such as Dumbledore, Umbridge, Mrs. Weasley, and Mad-Eye Moody.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 3rd, 2021, 7:31 am

Zack Burner wrote:A few nights ago I watched this movie, the last movie I was expecting my mother to suggest we watch: Paddington 2. That's right one of two movies based on a beloved book character. Much better than I thought, delightful for everyone regardless of age and featuring some Harry Potter actors such as Dumbledore, Umbridge, Mrs. Weasley, and Mad-Eye Moody.

There was a news article the other day about Paddington 2. Someone uploaded an old, mediocre professional review in Chicago about Citizen Kane from the year it was released. It caused the metacritic review of Citizen Kane to no longer be the top rated movie of all time. Paddington 2 replaced it.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 3rd, 2021, 9:58 pm

ActRaiser wrote:There was a news article the other day about Paddington 2. Someone uploaded an old, mediocre professional review in Chicago about Citizen Kane from the year it was released. It caused the metacritic review of Citizen Kane to no longer be the top rated movie of all time. Paddington 2 replaced it.

That's... amazing.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 3rd, 2021, 10:10 pm

Breaker wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:There was a news article the other day about Paddington 2. Someone uploaded an old, mediocre professional review in Chicago about Citizen Kane from the year it was released. It caused the metacritic review of Citizen Kane to no longer be the top rated movie of all time. Paddington 2 replaced it.

That's... amazing.

I had to go look. Metacritic's top movie is Citizen Kane, and Pad 2 isn't in the top 100 of the "Best Movies, All Time". Was that clickbait, or some other ranking?

Anyway, there are (obviously?) a lot of great movies in the Top 100, but I think I'd rank #34 as my personal #1. Granted, there are probably 10 in the top 34 that I haven't seen...

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 4th, 2021, 7:31 am

Breaker wrote:
Breaker wrote:

That's... amazing.

I had to go look. Metacritic's top movie is Citizen Kane, and Pad 2 isn't in the top 100 of the "Best Movies, All Time". Was that clickbait, or some other ranking?

Anyway, there are (obviously?) a lot of great movies in the Top 100, but I think I'd rank #34 as my personal #1. Granted, there are probably 10 in the top 34 that I haven't seen...

Sorry, it wasn't metacritic. It was Rotten Tomatoes. It was probably click bait to some extent.

Here's the link
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-02/ ... /100109944

Fresh meter for Citizen Kane at 99%
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/citizen_kane

And the fresh meter for Paddington 2 at 100%
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paddington_2

I still can't figure out what "list" Paddington 2 exceeds Citizen Kane on as the top movie of all time. This goes to show I should do more research than just reading what was posted. There's some kernel of truth to it, but not much based on the "fresh" rating.

Based on the article it's more of a tongue in cheek thing than anything else.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 4th, 2021, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the links - reading those old reviews was a hoot!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 4th, 2021, 4:55 pm

Is it just me, or is that 1941 "rotten" review of Citizen Kane much more on the money than any of the glowing modern reviews?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 12th, 2021, 8:49 pm

Oh I watched Without Remorse on Prime before i got rid of it. Wow.. what a pile of S*** It looks like it is going to be a great movie but has so many ludicrous elements to the plot. It is not even funny. F

I also watched Chernobyl which is really good if you have not watched it.

Return to “Other Media”