Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
pacman000

Recent Movies You Saw

Postby pacman000 » October 25th, 2020, 4:14 pm

I’ve seen threads like this on other forums, & they’re usually fun. Post the last movie you saw. I’ll go first:

Trial of Lee Harvey Oswald, Larry Buchanan, 1964

Docudrama Purporting to examine the evidence against Oswald in a fictional jury trial. Starts out feeling rather weighty, but drags on & becomes as fun as real jury duty. Some nice old-time shots of Dallas. At the end of the movie an attorney comes out & says Oswald was most likely going to be convicted. The evidence may have been circumstantial, but it was strong. Decent acting, tho the prosecutor was a bit hammy & some witnesses were a bit wooden. Occasional editing goofs; characters looking the wrong way after a camera angle change, etc.

Buchanan could’ve become a good director, but from what I’ve seen he got worse with each movie he made.

matmico399

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby matmico399 » October 25th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Solid review of Lee Harvey Oswald and director Buchanan. It sounds very interesting and I might need to track it down. As far as movies I have seen recently, ones I haven't seen before, I can't think of a single one. I lost interest in new movies about a decade ago as they just weren't original. However I need to dive back into the classic movies anything from the 1950s forward is my cup of tea.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 25th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Thanks. I saw it on tape, but there is a copy on YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ThSEbRW1_Y

Burbank Home Video usually released public domain films with slight editing, so it should be ok to share here, tho it may be slightly different from the version I saw.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 25th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Last night I saw this French romantic comedy called "Delicacy" which stars Audrey Tatou of Amelie fame (one of my favorite movies!)

Tonight I'm watching The Stuff (1985) which is about a killer dessert

Tuesday's viewing for me will be Creepshow (1982) a nice Horror Anthology with the works of Stephen King and George Romero

Thursday will be Candyman (1992)

And on Saturday will be the cult classic The Monster Squad (1987) Bogus!

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » October 26th, 2020, 4:00 pm

I watched Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness on Saturday.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 26th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Last week I watched a couple of classics for the first time - I Walked with a Zombie (1943) and Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde (1931). Both were very good, especially the former. I have a bunch of older horror films from Turner Classic Movies to go through and even more to come in the next week.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 27th, 2020, 7:58 am

I watched Knives Out on Friday through Amazon Prime. It was great and one that I highly recommend. It's full of A list characters with an inspector trying to figure out who killed someone.

On Saturday I watched Borat Subsequent Moviefilm. It was terrible. There were a couple of funny scenes but I sort of regret wasting the time. If you literally can't think of anything else to do then give it a shot. Else, you're okay to skip it.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 27th, 2020, 10:17 am

Watched The Mummy (1932) with Boris Karloff last night. The movie is good whenever Karloff is on screen and there is an eerie, dreamlike atmosphere and a few interesting ideas (they end up using a flashback sequence as a sort of mini silent movie within a movie, for instance) but they saddle it with a bland leading man and an obligatory romance (which I'm finding is pretty common for horror films of this era) and it ends weaker than it begins. Surprised that the iconic image of the bandaged mummy only really appears in a single scene.

Tron

Postby Tron » October 29th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Last night I saw this French romantic comedy called "Delicacy" which stars Audrey Tatou of Amelie fame (one of my favorite movies!)

Tuesday's viewing for me will be Creepshow (1982) a nice Horror Anthology with the works of Stephen King and George Romero

Hope you enjoyed {The Stuff}. One of my favorite movies. My daughters loved the movie too. Someday I plan to make some labels for the stuff and put them on marshmallow cream jars for my girls and I too enjoy during the movie.

I just saw {The Flapper} 1920. Awesome movie.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Tron wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:Last night I saw this French romantic comedy called "Delicacy" which stars Audrey Tatou of Amelie fame (one of my favorite movies!)

Hope you enjoyed {The Stuff}. One of my favorite movies. My daughters loved the movie too. Someday I plan to make some labels for the stuff and put them on marshmallow cream jars for my girls and I too enjoy during the movie.

I just saw {The Flapper} 1920. Awesome movie.

Indeed I enjoyed it! I love it too! I've been longing to see it ever since I first discovered the VHS format of the movie and read about it, the concept caught my imagination. A monstrous dessert? How can you not love that concept? Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) is a fan of "The Stuff" as well! Love the name David "Mo" Rutherford, cause he always wants "mo".

Return to “Other Media”