Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
pacman000

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby pacman000 » October 25th, 2021, 9:14 am

Hero Dog: The Long Way Home A movie about a blind man walking a dog in the woods. They meet mild peril on their way home. He’s trying to use the dog as a guide dog after surviving a boat crash, but it looks more like a Sunday afternoon outing. Cool concept, but characters keep making dumb decisions. Probably needed a few more drafts before filming.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 26th, 2021, 6:15 pm

Keeping up with the tradition, an old favorite of mine: "The Mummy" (1999), everything an adventure/horror fan wanted and more. Forget the version with Tom Cruise, this is the real deal, lots of fun, memorable cast, and amazing special effects. Gotta love Imhotep's face in the sandstorm, just make sure the next one isn't smiling at you!

"Whatever harm came from reading a book?"

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 26th, 2021, 6:27 pm

Zack Burner wrote:"Whatever harm came from reading a book?"

Hmm. Pagemaster and Neverending Story come to mind... 8-)

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 26th, 2021, 6:54 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:"Whatever harm came from reading a book?"

Hmm. Pagemaster and Neverending Story come to mind... 8-)

One character in the Neverending Story still scares me.....G'mork! Those cat-like eyes, his convincing puppetry, his relentless pursuit of Atreyu, even his words send shivers down your spine!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 26th, 2021, 8:47 pm

A few days ago on AMC's Fear Fest I watched Pumpkinhead. I never watched it before. It came out the year I graduated HS. Mostly because of the season. At the time I disregarded it as another late 80's cheesy horror flick. Let me tell you it's pretty good. I luv a good horror film but I don't watch many because most are so stupid. Lance Hendrickson is the star. The first 25 minutes are great. I would suggest this in October. Give it a shot.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 28th, 2021, 9:57 pm

Just finished watching one of the classics of horror in glorious black and white: "House on Haunted Hill" with the man, the myth, the legend: Vincent Price. This movie is so much fun to watch over and over again, all the hauntings, paranoia, and jump scares you could ask for. It has a few flaws which add to the fun: the severed head that you see a few times is too fake to be scary and the movie ends on an abrupt and ambiguous note, we don't fully know the fates of everyone. Vincent Price relishes his role as always. As a bonus for trivia, a hanging skeleton on a winch was to be floated across the theatre at one point late in the movie, but no kid was fooled by it, it was a frequent target of projectiles. Overall, a fun haunted house excursion.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 29th, 2021, 9:08 pm

Continuing my marathon of horror, "City of the Dead/Horror Hotel" (1960) - starring Christopher Lee and Patricia Jessel. Released around roughly the same time as Psycho, though it doesn't feel like it was blatantly copying one another. Provides all the right tricks to scare and the performances from the two mentioned above bring a quaint sense of sinisterness that can ambush the protagonists when they least expect it. I find myself returning to this one year after year, and why not? Perfect old Halloween movie.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 30th, 2021, 5:30 pm

With Halloween being a season of treats, just make sure whatever you eat doesn't eat you from the inside like what I just watched: "The Stuff" (1985) with Michael Moriarity and Garrett Morris. I was fascinated with this movie's premise as a kid even though I could not watch it until I was much older. Schlocky B-movie about a killer dessert, with nice low budget special effects directed by the late great Larry Cohen.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 31st, 2021, 3:35 pm

Finishing my marathon, the cult classic of the 80's: "The Monster Squad". Combining Ghostbusters, the Goonies and the Universal Studios monsters, you get the perfect cult movie. Plenty of fun to be had, the kids all do well in their parts (they won a Young Artists Award for outstanding ensemble), the special effects are terrific, the soundtrack is kicking, and the monsters are all memorable (makeup by Stan Winston who did the makeup for the Terminator movies). Tom Noonan steals the show as Frankenstein with similar charm of Sloth from the Goonies, but the other monsters are great, like Jon Gries as the Wolfman, and Duncan Regehir is deliciously evil as Dracula matching that of Bela Lugosi. I watch this every Halloween and and everytime I smile and smile. Like "The Stuff" this was one of two movies in the horror section that caught my eye and imagination as a kid when I first found those two on VHS many years ago, but was too young at the time to watch them, but now I'm older and I love them both! It doesn't get any better for cult status than this.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 7th, 2021, 9:25 am

Saw these two movies one animated, one drama. The animated one is Animalympics, thanks to Youtube I was able to watch it, and I'm getting addicted to this gem of an animated family movie! The characters are all memorable with their quirks: Rene Fromage, Kit Mambo, Tatyana Tashenko, Bruce Kwakimoto, Joey Gongalong, Dr. Abdul Jones, Bolt Jenkins, Kurt Wuffner, The Contessa, and Dean Wilson. This has both stood the test of time and felt prophetic (Bruce's floor exercises have prophetized having Karate (Kata and Kumite events) simultaneously. The ending is real sweet I won't reveal it, I gotta get this on DVD!

The other movie is The Truman Show with Jim Carrey, normally comedic playing a serious role doing a terrific job in the role (in fact that performance earned him a well deserved Golden Globe award). This too was prophetic as well, foreshadowing what reality TV can turn into every little privacy invading aspects of life portrayed on the screens. Let's just hope life doesn't feel like the sequestered life Truman experiences where everything is safe and pleasant, but not genuine.

Return to “Other Media”