Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
MSR1701

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby MSR1701 » November 7th, 2021, 10:29 am

Zack Burner wrote:Saw these two movies one animated, one drama. The animated one is Animalympics, thanks to Youtube I was able to watch it, and I'm getting addicted to this gem of an animated family movie! The characters are all memorable with their quirks: Rene Fromage, Kit Mambo, Tatyana Tashenko, Bruce Kwakimoto, Joey Gongalong, Dr. Abdul Jones, Bolt Jenkins, Kurt Wuffner, The Contessa, and Dean Wilson. This has both stood the test of time and felt prophetic (Bruce's floor exercises have prophetized having Karate (Kata and Kumite events) simultaneously. The ending is real sweet I won't reveal it, I gotta get this on DVD!

The other movie is The Truman Show with Jim Carrey, normally comedic playing a serious role doing a terrific job in the role (in fact that performance earned him a well deserved Golden Globe award). This too was prophetic as well, foreshadowing what reality TV can turn into every little privacy invading aspects of life portrayed on the screens. Let's just hope life doesn't feel like the sequestered life Truman experiences where everything is safe and pleasant, but not genuine.

Animalympics is on DVD, below is the Amazon link, much better quality than the VHS we had as a kid!

Animalympics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FLRBR6/re ... 1VEA1017FW

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 7th, 2021, 7:28 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Saw these two movies one animated, one drama. The animated one is Animalympics, thanks to Youtube I was able to watch it, and I'm getting addicted to this gem of an animated family movie! The characters are all memorable with their quirks: Rene Fromage, Kit Mambo, Tatyana Tashenko, Bruce Kwakimoto, Joey Gongalong, Dr. Abdul Jones, Bolt Jenkins, Kurt Wuffner, The Contessa, and Dean Wilson. This has both stood the test of time and felt prophetic (Bruce's floor exercises have prophetized having Karate (Kata and Kumite events) simultaneously. The ending is real sweet I won't reveal it, I gotta get this on DVD!

Yeah Animalympics is awesome. I might have watched that one at the movies. The Soundtrack is by Graham Gouldman of the 70s Manchurian rock band 10CC. They had quite a few hits back in the 70s. Notably with Im not in love. I had the sound track on cassette and I still listen it it. Thanks for the tip about you tube.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 7th, 2021, 7:31 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:

Yeah Animalympics is awesome. I might have watched that one at the movies. The Soundtrack is by Graham Gouldman of the 70s Manchurian rock band 10CC. They had quite a few hits back in the 70s. Notably with Im not in love. I had the sound track on cassette and I still listen it it. Thanks for the tip about you tube.

https://youtu.be/GB8BOxMa9eg

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 8th, 2021, 7:40 am

Yesterday I got to see the perfect birthday present movie: Respect. Starring Jennifer Hudson as Aretha Franklin herself in a wonderful biopic of the queen of soul herself. I actually went to an Aretha Franklin concert myself back in 2003, a moment I'll never forget. I wouldn't be surprised if this walks away with Oscars and Golden Globes.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 13th, 2021, 9:47 pm

Just finished watching a classic of cinema: Nosferatu (1922) the original black and white version of the tale of Dracula. Celebrating it's (near) 100th anniversary, not only was this a landmark of cinema, but a century old prophecy mentioning a pandemic like the plague in this case vampirism. Max Shreck is an iconic image of a vampire with the famous shot of his shadow going up the stairs and grabbing Ellen. Not so scary as it is atmospheric today, but still worth watching.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 16th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Beaster Bunny. A huge 50 foot bunny murders people. Cue some jokes about bunnies not being so cute. A lot of nudity and a very slow plot. A trash classic. It is on Amazon prime. I think it is a sold D+. A so bad it is good movie.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 17th, 2021, 10:27 pm

I don't know if you'd call this a movie or a TV special, but what it is, is a documentary, the best documentary I know about Native Americans, "500 Nations" hosted by Kevin Costner (of Dances with Wolves fame, how perfect), it's a multi-part series covering different areas of Native American culture (I just watched the first episode). I have been watching this documentary for 20 years, it features authentic photography of Native people, artifacts, interviews, and narration with Native actors such as Graham Greene, Floyd Red Crow Westerman, Wes Studi, and others. Be warned though it's not only fascinating but also depressing.

Coming soon, I'm planning on watching another favorite movie of mine: "The Last of the Mohicans" (1992) with Daniel Day Lewis. A splendid, sweeping, majestic version of the story I've been watching since the age of 8 (I kid you not), best seen on the big screen.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 18th, 2021, 7:04 pm

Zack your tastes are excellent. I like old movies too but I generally start in the 40s. 1922 is pretty ancient but I have seen the stills and know the story and I am very interested in watching it too.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm

matmico399 wrote:Zack your tastes are excellent. I like old movies too but I generally start in the 40s. 1922 is pretty ancient but I have seen the stills and know the story and I am very interested in watching it too.

Thanks! I love old movies in fact I like movies from all periods of time and genres (except for the slasher genre with the exceptions being: Psycho (1960), Halloween (1978), and Candyman). There's no particular genre I favor over the others, as all of them have their virtues. I even watch foreign films to broaden my horizons, among my favorites are: Amelie (France), Shaolin Soccer (China), Life is Beautiful (Italy), and Slumdog Millionaire (India). The last one mentioned is one of my two all-time favorites, the other is a film festival movie called "Dave made a Maze" (2017) a goofy cult movie with what's both kid and adult alike.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 19th, 2021, 3:25 pm

Even though I'm not into it, I watched out of curiosity, GI Joe: The Movie, the original animated movie. Pretty exciting with higher stakes, more hardcore, gutwrenching elements including Cobra Commanders transformation from man to snake, and who could forget the frightening Golobulus, voiced by Burgess Meredith himself, having a ball in the role with lines like "I will break every vertebrae in your body!" and "This pitiful planet will be ours! ha hahahhahah!" Of course true fans love the spotlight of Sgt. Slaughter himself and Falcon (voiced by Don Johnson) and his redemption by defeating Cobra. Believe it or not, the writers wanted Duke to die, but after the controversy of Optimus Prime's death in the Transformers movie they changed it to falling into a coma. That's a bit lame.

Return to “Other Media”