Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » November 16th, 2020, 11:53 am

pacman000 wrote:“Island at the Top of the World“

Fun old Disney movie, similar to “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.” Lots of neat, but obvious, matte work. I think the FX in “20,000 Leagues” were better.

Ah yes, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" I rented that movie from the library a lot, and for good reason, it's so much fun to watch. The Squid attack was always the highlight for me, the tentacle moves so convincing even today that it's creepy! And who could forget James Mason as Captain Nemo, Kirk Douglas as Ned Land, and the creepy Peter Lorre as Council.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 17th, 2020, 1:23 am

From Beyond: By the director of The Re-Animator and based on a Lovecraft short story (which I only read after watching the film). A mix of sci-fi and horror about opening the gateway to worlds beyond our senses - and both the creatures that inhabit them and what those that witness the new worlds become. Tons of goo, slimy monsters and human mutations (think The Thing, David Cronenberg and the finale of Society) with some humor, S&M and a great performance by Jeffery Combs.

Dogtooth: Greek film about a rich couple who keep their now twenty-something children inside the walls surrounding their home, which only the father leaves. The grown children are expected to follow strict routines of education and physical fitness (including memorizing a made-up language) and have no understanding of the outside world besides that which their parents tell them (such as "the cat is the most dangerous animal in the world" and "your mother will be giving birth to a new brother, sister and a dog"), although the outside can't help but eventually interfere. Tense, uneasy family drama with the occasional laugh-out-loud moment and sudden acts of brutality. Not for the squeamish for both sex and violence and a graphic (although clearly simulated) scene of violence against an animal. Unique film that's probably going to a love-it-or-hate affair for most people - personally, I plan to check out more of the director's work.

jon

Postby jon » November 22nd, 2020, 7:26 pm

I’ve been enjoying Copland. It’s a really interesting movie. I watched Minority Report and I didn’t enjoy it as much as I did back when it first came out.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 22nd, 2020, 10:13 pm

Since I've been reviewing the video games I finally saw Rocketeer. Good but not great. A lot of familiar faces, including Michael Scott's (The Office) girlfriend Jen as the lounge singer.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 23rd, 2020, 10:01 am

Last night I saw this weird thriller called "Enemy" with Jake Gyllenhall playing two roles (yes you heard right two simultaneous roles) as a History Professor, the other an Arrogant Actor. One is friendly but socially awkward, the other is short-tempered, this all leads to some freaky scenarios that will have you thinking if you have a familiar face somewhere in the world!

Also saw, Scorpion King 2, not great but entertaining if you like swordplay, hot chicks who kick ass, and ancient times, plus cheesy CGI. It does star Randy Couture doing a good job as a diabolical sorcerer. No Dwayne Johnson though.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 23rd, 2020, 5:39 pm

Jon I was a pretty big fan of Copland back in the day. Great cast of actors. Definitely different for Stallone. I haven't seen that in probably 20 years but I'll have to see about watching it again.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 25th, 2020, 7:04 pm

The Wrecking Crew (2008)
A documentary about the studio musicians in LA in the 60s and 70s. As a fan of this era of music, I am fascinated by this film. Turns out it isn't a surprise I like all the artists featured on the soundtrack, because all the songs were recorded by the same people! Made as a tribute to the film maker's father, there are interviews with an incredible array of musicians and producers. Highly recommended, especially is you're a fan of 60s RnR.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 29th, 2020, 6:09 pm

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Made for a long afternoon; they probably could’ve made 2-3 movies from that one book!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 29th, 2020, 6:40 pm

pacman000 wrote:Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Made for a long afternoon; they probably could’ve made 2-3 movies from that one book!

Oh yes, good old Lord of the Rings! One of my favorite movie series! I even went to two locations in New Zealand where it was filmed! The first place was Queenstown where the warg attack took place, and I even got to wear Frodo's cloak and hold Sting! The 2nd place was in Matamata where there was Hobbiton, the remaining hobbit holes, the interior of Bag End was done in Wellington (didn't see it there, though at a museum there was a margarine sculpture of Gandalf the Grey), that was 16 years ago, when I was living for a year and a half in New Zealand. Did you know that TreeBeard is voiced by John Rhys-Davies (The same man who played Gimli)?

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 29th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Just found that out yesterday when someone mentioned it in a review of another movie he acted in.

It’s cool that you got to see those places; I’d like to, but it’s a bit far away!

Zack Burner wrote:
pacman000 wrote:Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Oh yes, good old Lord of the Rings! One of my favorite movie series! I even went to two locations in New Zealand where it was filmed! The first place was Queenstown where the warg attack took place, and I even got to wear Frodo's cloak and hold Sting! The 2nd place was in Matamata where there was Hobbiton, the remaining hobbit holes, the interior of Bag End was done in Wellington (didn't see it there, though at a museum there was a margarine sculpture of Gandalf the Grey), that was 16 years ago, when I was living for a year and a half in New Zealand. Did you know that TreeBeard is voiced by John Rhys-Davies (The same man who played Gimli)?

Return to “Other Media”