Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
velcrozombie

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby velcrozombie » November 2nd, 2020, 12:19 pm

Recently watched Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia by Sam Peckinpah (best known directing The Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs (1972)). Very bleak and nihilistic road movie about desperate people driven to do anything it takes to escape their dire circumstances. It has great performances from both leads (Warren Oates and Isela Vega) and Peckinpah's signature slow-motion gunfights. It's quite a depressing film, so take that into account if you have to be in a certain mood to enjoy something like this.

Last night I watched War of the Gargantuas, which is probably the first kaiju I've seen that didn't star a member of the Godzilla or Gamera universe. Since the monster suits are humanoid (basically giant yetis with zombie faces) the actors have a lot of mobility and have a real slobber-knocker of a final battle, body-slamming each other through detailed buildings and throwing ships at each other. Most of the non-monster stuff is even more dull than usual, but there's still a few charming 60s touches and some bizarre dialogue (I watched the film dubbed, as it was broadcast on Turner Classic Movies - I don't know if a subbed version exists).

Tron wrote:Hope you enjoyed {The Stuff}. One of my favorite movies. My daughters loved the movie too. Someday I plan to make some labels for the stuff and put them on marshmallow cream jars for my girls and I too enjoy during the movie.

I've been meaning to watch this one for a while. Larry Cohen directed God Told Me To and it's one of the more bonkers things I've seen recently so I want to check out more of his films.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 2nd, 2020, 5:18 pm

Boy this is an intelligent group. Most message boards I am on talk about films in the last five years and forward. So glad to see people around my age watching the classics from the 1930s forward. Encouraging in a good sign.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 2nd, 2020, 6:42 pm

matmico399 wrote:Boy this is an intelligent group. Most message boards I am on talk about films in the last five years and forward. So glad to see people around my age watching the classics from the 1930s forward. Encouraging in a good sign.

Tell me about it! I'd rather watch some old movie than the more contemporary garbage they put on the screen, how that stuff passes for entertainment is beyond me. Right now I'd be feeling like watching "Guns of Navarone" with Gregory Peck and Anthony Quinn or even something foreign like "La Strada" which also stars Anthony Quinn.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 2nd, 2020, 10:02 pm

I've seen three films recently. From most recent to least...

Apollo 13
This was a special 25th anniversary showing at a theater. I love this film, because I love the space program and I love Tom Hanks. Although the special effects are a little dated, the human drama in this film is great. The cast is awesome and their return to earth, even though i know it's inevitable, nearly brings tears to my eyes still. Very enjoyable to see this on the big screen for the first time.

Thunderball
This was my tribute to Sean Connery's passing. I love this Bond film. Watching today, the underwater scenes are overly long. But through the lens of the audience in 1965, I'm sure it was mind-blowing. I love to see Bond in a Caribbean setting, and this is Bond vs Spectre in its original incarnation, before half-brother nonsense. Connery hasn't quite crossed the line of being disinterested, and the budget in this film shows up in the explosions and set pieces. One of my favorites.

Clue
This cult classic might be my all-time favorite movie. We saw this in a movie theater, too, right before Halloween. I've probably seen this 100 times, but this was also a first on the big screen. Tim Curry is picture-perfect as Wadsworth, and the rest of the ensemble cast has this thing dialed in. Such a great mad-cap finale. Highly recommended.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 3rd, 2020, 8:53 am

matmico399 wrote:Boy this is an intelligent group. Most message boards I am on talk about films in the last five years and forward. So glad to see people around my age watching the classics from the 1930s forward. Encouraging in a good sign.

I just enjoy film and I'm curious about its history and how it has evolved over the years so I try to cast a fairly wide net. There have been plenty of films made over the last five years that I've enjoyed a great deal - Mad Max: Fury Road, Hereditary, Mandy, One Cut of the Dead, The Lighthouse, Upgrade - but there are also a lot of classics and oddities that I've either neglected, newly discovered or simply didn't have access to until recently. I'll never get to everything, but that means that there will always be something new to look forward to.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 7th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Breaker - have you seen Never Say Never Again? It was Connery's last Bond role, and it's supposed to be a remake of Thunderball. It feels like a very different movie however.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 7th, 2020, 11:29 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Breaker - have you seen Never Say Never Again? It was Connery's last Bond role, and it's supposed to be a remake of Thunderball. It feels like a very different movie however.

Absolutely. It is a remake of Thunderball, but totally changed for the 80s. It's considered "non-official" since it wasn't made by EON productions... long legal battle over who wrote what between Ian Fleming and Kevin McClory - the plot and name and Spectre, etc, etc. Lots of details there to get into.

The video game scene and the ballroom dancing feel totally out of place. But Connery puts in a pretty good performance, better than Diamonds Are Forever and You Only Live Twice, in my opinion. Kim Basinger is good, as are Klaus Maria Brandauer and Max von Sydow. Rowan Atkinson are Barbara Cabrera are a bit too much for me.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 8th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Rings - Bit late for Halloween, but hopefully not too late.

Lacks the slow build & suspense of the 1st one. Surprise antagonist was a cliche. 

Wouldn’t recommend it, but it was an ok way to spend the afternoon.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 10th, 2020, 1:58 am

Just watched Black Sabbath (horror anthology starring Boris Karloff from 1963 which also inspired the band name) and Theatre of Blood (extremely over-the-top black comedy where shamed actor Vincent Price offs each of his critics during twisted reenactments of scenes from Shakespeare). Black Sabbath is stylishly directed and gets off to a good start with a short grotesque ghost story but the final two tales have some awkward moments (partially caused by censorship and rewritten/redubbed dialogue of the original Italian cut). Theatre of Blood is a blast and one of Price's personal favorites of his own work, although he was apparently put off by the gore.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 15th, 2020, 9:45 pm

“Island at the Top of the World“

Fun old Disney movie, similar to “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.” Lots of neat, but obvious, matte work. I think the FX in “20,000 Leagues” were better.

Return to “Other Media”