Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
BlasteroidAli
Posts: 702
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 16th, 2021, 10:16 am

DrLitch wrote:Been on a Sci Fi binge lately, early 00's films mostly. Got lucky as all were really good.

Equilibrium (2002) - [A-]
A very enjoyable action oriented dystopian sci fi flick with perhaps the shortest end boss fight ever given the protagonist is badass. Elements of Matrix, 1984, and Hunger Games (less the bulls**t) in this film.

Cypher (2002) - [A]
Low budget sci fi but mysterious and fascinating throughout. Perhaps one of the best sci fi movies I have ever seen and Lucy Liu is always a welcome presence in a film. Fascinating view of a future corporate world, an undercover agent, and a nice plot twist.

Imposter (2001) - [B+]
Another excellent sci fi flick that deals with concept of cloning and the protagonist running from law after being accused of being a clone that committed murder. Maybe Lieutenant Dan's best ever film.

Live Die Repeat Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - [A-]
Film that doubles up as both a comedy and action Sci Fi with a Groundhog Day element. Similar to Star Troopers in it's absolute absurdity but like that film, it was a fun, action packed, and mildly amusing romp throughout.

The Thirteenth Floor (1999) - [B-]
Released around the time of the Matrix. Low budget film but not a B movie. Acting is fine and storyline is quite thought provoking regarding the paradigm of do we live in simulated reality? It also has Private Pyle in it (who also went mad in this film).

5 truly amazing SF movies. I watched all of them in the cinema!!

Zack Burner
Posts: 513
Joined: May 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » March 18th, 2021, 1:13 pm

Mysterious Island (1961) - based on a novel by Jules Verne and often considered the spiritual successor to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (in fact the same Nautilus from the 1956 movie appears as well!). Captain Nemo makes an appearance in this movie as well, he's played by Herbert Lom (The Phantom in the Pink Panther movies), and he does a good job, but I think James Mason was perfect for the role, he didn't just play the character, he lived it. The real stars however are the stop motion creatures, courtesy of the great Ray Harryhausen, we get a giant crab, a giant chicken-like bird, giant bees, and a giant ammonite (the closest thing to cool since the giant squid in the 1956 movie).

Teddybear
Posts: 120
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Teddybear » March 18th, 2021, 3:38 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Mysterious Island (1961) - based on a novel by Jules Verne and often considered the spiritual successor to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (in fact the same Nautilus from the 1956 movie appears as well!). Captain Nemo makes an appearance in this movie as well, he's played by Herbert Lom (The Phantom in the Pink Panther movies), and he does a good job, but I think James Mason was perfect for the role, he didn't just play the character, he lived it. The real stars however are the stop motion creatures, courtesy of the great Ray Harryhausen, we get a giant crab, a giant chicken-like bird, giant bees, and a giant ammonite (the closest thing to cool since the giant squid in the 1956 movie).


This has been a long-time favorite of mine since I saw it as a little kid in the 1970's. So incredibly imaginative and the special effects must have blown audiences away when they first viewed it in a theater in 1961. The honey comb scene was my favorite and certainly due in part to that outfit actress Beth Rogan was wearing.

Zack Burner
Posts: 513
Joined: May 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » March 18th, 2021, 4:02 pm

Teddybear wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:Mysterious Island (1961) - based on a novel by Jules Verne and often considered the spiritual successor to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (in fact the same Nautilus from the 1956 movie appears as well!). Captain Nemo makes an appearance in this movie as well, he's played by Herbert Lom (The Phantom in the Pink Panther movies), and he does a good job, but I think James Mason was perfect for the role, he didn't just play the character, he lived it. The real stars however are the stop motion creatures, courtesy of the great Ray Harryhausen, we get a giant crab, a giant chicken-like bird, giant bees, and a giant ammonite (the closest thing to cool since the giant squid in the 1956 movie).


This has been a long-time favorite of mine since I saw it as a little kid in the 1970's. So incredibly imaginative and the special effects must have blown audiences away when they first viewed it in a theater in 1961. The honey comb scene was my favorite and certainly due in part to that outfit actress Beth Rogan was wearing.


That outfit's got nothing on Racquel Welch's fur bikini in One Million Years B.C.!

Zack Burner
Posts: 513
Joined: May 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » March 25th, 2021, 9:28 am

Idiocracy with Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph, created by Mike Judge both dumb and smart at the same time.

BlasteroidAli
Posts: 702
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 26th, 2021, 10:14 pm

Skylines.
It is on Netflix. I really enjoyed the first Skyline movie. It was so wonderfully bleak. The aliens have come to earth. We are their wheat, so they harvest us. Though not all of us will go willingly. So fight back in unusual ways.

So when beyond Skyline came out, I watched that one as well. The fight does on. We will be their masters? Or will they be our masters? Superb.

Now, part 3 is out, so what do you get. It was good fun shlock. The bad guys who destroyed earth. We take the fight to them to end their existence. So we get a ship us humans and decide to end the aliens once and for all. Good fun lowbrow shlock. It has good effects for a medium budget movie. The stars seem to enjoy their roles reprising them from the previous movie. Does Frank Bello appear? Well he is talked about and not having him in the movie really takes away from it.

If I say too much I will give the game away.

Also I managed to get Death run. A nuclear war is coming These people are put in suspended animation. They come out and what would you do? You would go camping? No chance. So they go camping and the mutos get em. The woman is going to become a love slave to the evil tyrant who is controlling the camp of mutos. It is quite good fun so far. I finished it. It is a classic low budget end of the world movie. Great characters make you like them by their deeds. They also grow up as the movie carries on. Plus the writer director is someone who actually likes SF and has a feel for the genre.

The interesting thing is that it is also the plot of Rage the video game. I waited 5 years to get a hold of a copy. Not available anywhere. So I guess I am going to be the only one to see it.
Last edited by BlasteroidAli on March 27th, 2021, 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 706
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 27th, 2021, 7:49 am

The Snyder cut of Justice League.

It's still a flawed film. It still wastes time on action noise against CG armies. It will never turn down the chance to add an explosion or a cool theme song as punctuation.

And the amount of fan service can become exhausting, especially after the movie's over and refuses to end.

If you can't stand formulaic superhero escapism, then you're probably better off watching anything else.

And yet.

It's so much better than what we got in theaters. Or any of Zack Snyder's other DC movies.

For one thing, it mostly makes sense. A low bar to clear, but still a welcome surprise.

For another, with 4 hours to spare, it's finally got time for small moments of humanity. Victor's reasons for hacking the school computers tells you more about who he is than the entire Joss Whedon version of the movie. So do his reasons for hacking an ATM.

I won't say anything more about these new scenes, but it's telling that they were cut by Whedon. Because we need scenes like these to ground Cyborg in our reality.

Especially after we're told he could destroy our economy or start a nuclear war with a thought.

Which was another scene Whedon cut from the film.

Everything that makes him feel more human or feel more like a God was removed from the movie, in favor of forced humor. And that sums up the theatrical changes made to Wonder Woman and the Flash as well.

Especially the Flash.

Unlike the theatrical cut, where only Superman mattered, everyone here is necessary. And unlike the theatrical cut, where the characters constantly cheap shot each other, these characters are actually likable. They feel like a real team.

Who knew the same guy behind edgelord disasters like Batman v Superman had it in him?

Even the battle with the Amazons feels as epic and as heroic as anything in Lord of the Rings.

So if you're looking for some mostly mindless escapism that won't go out of its way to insult your intelligence?

You could do a lot worse.

Just do yourself a favor, and don't try to watch the whole thing in an entire sitting.

This thing is paced more like a miniseries than a movie.

Breaker
Posts: 350
Joined: May 13th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Breaker » March 27th, 2021, 11:16 am

Zack Burner wrote:Idiocracy with Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph, created by Mike Judge both dumb and smart at the same time.


I think this movie is actually coming true.

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 14899
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 27th, 2021, 11:56 am

Pixelated - thanks for the thorough review of the Justice League cut. I didn't care for the original but I'm endlessly fascinated by the idea of a new 4 hour version!

Personally I saw Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels last night for the first time. This has been in my Netflix queue forever! I heard it was inspired by Pulp Fiction and I can see that. There are a lot of intertwining storylines.

I thought it was pretty confusing because there are so many characters in this. However the wife and I enjoyed watching it all the way through. Funny how it looked like an "aged" movie but came out in 1999.

Zack Burner
Posts: 513
Joined: May 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » March 27th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Breaker wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:Idiocracy with Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph, created by Mike Judge both dumb and smart at the same time.


I think this movie is actually coming true.



So true, life has slowly imitated this art for sure! I'm not a fan of Beavis and Butthead, but this one took me by surprise.


Return to “Other Media”