Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » November 29th, 2020, 9:30 pm

pacman000 wrote:Just found that out yesterday when someone mentioned it in a review of another movie he acted in.

It’s cool that you got to see those places; I’d like to, but it’s a bit far away!

Zack Burner wrote:
pacman000 wrote:Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Made for a long afternoon; they probably could’ve made 2-3 movies from that one book!

Oh yes, good old Lord of the Rings! One of my favorite movie series! I even went to two locations in New Zealand where it was filmed! The first place was Queenstown where the warg attack took place, and I even got to wear Frodo's cloak and hold Sting! The 2nd place was in Matamata where there was Hobbiton, the remaining hobbit holes, the interior of Bag End was done in Wellington (didn't see it there, though at a museum there was a margarine sculpture of Gandalf the Grey), that was 16 years ago, when I was living for a year and a half in New Zealand. Did you know that TreeBeard is voiced by John Rhys-Davies (The same man who played Gimli)?

Yes it took at least a day to get to New Zealand! And I went from a cold January winter in New York to summer weather as soon as I got off the plane upon arriving there!

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 30th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Breaker wrote: The Wrecking Crew (2008)
A documentary about the studio musicians in LA in the 60s and 70s. As a fan of this era of music, I am fascinated by this film. Turns out it isn't a surprise I like all the artists featured on the soundtrack, because all the songs were recorded by the same people! Made as a tribute to the film maker's father, there are interviews with an incredible array of musicians and producers. Highly recommended, especially is you're a fan of 60s RnR.

I've been wanting to watch this - as you say, it's astonishing how many great songs were recorded with the same backing band.

Watched a couple of horror movies that I've been wanting to cross off my list - the Michael Myers-less Halloween 3: Season of the Witch and the original Japanese version of Ring (1998).

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 5th, 2020, 11:00 am

Fantasy Island (2020)

The individual fantasies were ok, but the overall plot & added mythology was unnecessary.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » December 5th, 2020, 8:29 pm

velcrozombie wrote:I've been wanting to watch this - as you say, it's astonishing how many great songs were recorded with the same backing band.

It is amazing. You should absolutely watch it. I may watch it again now.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 13th, 2020, 7:41 pm

The Borrowers

A boy moves in with his great aunt & discovers a miniature family living under the floorboards.

Cool concept, but too slow, & the 60’s blue screen FX haven’t held up well. They should’ve built more giant sets, used more split screens, etc.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 14th, 2020, 10:17 pm

I watched Outbreak (1995) tonight. Pretty timely with the covid. It's amazing just how many things they got right about the virus. It was alarming to see it spread via casual contact (and later airborne). Makes me want to wear a mask.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 15th, 2020, 6:49 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I watched Outbreak (1995) tonight. Pretty timely with the covid. It's amazing just how many things they got right about the virus. It was alarming to see it spread via casual contact (and later airborne). Makes me want to wear a mask.

I remember watching that movie on a plane back in 1995. The part I remember the most is where the scientists "vaccinate" a monkey straight in the ass.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 15th, 2020, 3:09 pm

The Magic Christmas Tree

Not a bad concept, but those gag sequences aren't funny, & they take up a lot of time.  It could be cut down to a decent half-hour special. Kids were decent actors.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 12th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Star Wars Ep. II & III.

II is too slow, & it looks very 90's.

III isn't bad.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » January 12th, 2021, 6:52 pm

"Here's lookin' at you kid! Play it again Sam!" That's right, been watching old Bogey with hits such as:

-Casablanca
-The African Queen
-The Big Sleep

Return to “Other Media”