John Coltrane Giant Steps

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

John Coltrane Giant Steps

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 29th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Remember we were talking about Jazz albums this past summer? Well I just picked up John Coltrane "Giant Steps" and I'm liking it quite a bit. I couldn't get over that first song "Giant Steps". He's going a mile a minute on that tenor sax. The whole album isn't that fast but there is definitely a lot of energy here. More of a party album than a dinner album.

While trying to think of good adjectives I saw these on the back cover: Exuberant, furious, impassioned, and thundering. Yeah that about sums it up. I like to lay flat on the carpet after a long day's work, put this on and soak it in.

The album was records in 1960 so I was thinking about how people have been listening to this for six (!) decades and it never gets old. I really get the impression that time period was the golden age of Jazz when the masters were at work.

It's my third Jazz album after Kind of Blue (Miles Davis) and Sunday at the Village Vanguard (Bill Evans). What's next? You guys never steer me wrong.

Stalvern

Re: John Coltrane Giant Steps

Postby Stalvern » November 2nd, 2020, 9:32 am

I haven't had the time lately to put together a proper post for this thread, but John Coltrane is one of my favorite musicians, and A Love Supreme is my favorite album ever. I also strongly recommend Crescent, a wonderfully dark and lovely album, the classic Blue Train, and, if you're feeling adventurous about his late-period free jazz, Expression and Interstellar Space.

Return to “Other Media”