Organization Freaks

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Organization Freaks

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 18th, 2020, 5:16 pm

I've always been a highly organized person, keeping my CDs alphabetized and video games arranged by system. Not only do I like to be organizing but I love the ACT of organizing. Whenever we move or remodel, I love the opportunity to rearrange stuff.

I think a lot of collectors are like that, but I don't think that is the norm. I think we are outliers.

I hear a lot of people lament having stuff filling their shelves or having to hunt around for a disc or whatever. They want everything on their hard drive for convenience. Are you one of those people?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Zack Burner

Re: Organization Freaks

Postby Zack Burner » November 18th, 2020, 6:49 pm

I'm no Marie Kondo, but I'm decently organized for the most part, keeping my books, games, and other things where they belong and putting them back where they belong after each use, my desk is a little disorganized, but could be worse. At least I'm not like the people any of you saw on the A&E program, "Hoarders"

Voor

Postby Voor » November 19th, 2020, 6:25 am

I used to be, but kids kind of destroyed that. Lol.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 19th, 2020, 5:27 pm

I am an organization freak as well. I also have my games organized alphabetically as well as by console. So it starts with the Atari 2600, the NES etc. I also organize my DVDs books and magazines. And it is fun for me.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » November 20th, 2020, 4:33 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Not only do I like to be organizing but I love the ACT of organizing. Whenever we move or remodel, I love the opportunity to rearrange stuff.

This is absolutely me, it’s like having a fun little project. Even though I’m phasing away from physical media, I still keep my digital media super organised.

So the tough decision I’m sure we’ve all encountered - how do you organise your media when it comes to a series chronology that breaks the alphabetical order?

So for instance. The Harry Potter movies/books or Tomb Raider games, easy - those go in chronological order. I do the same with music too, albums are organised by artist, then release date. But what about, say, The Dark Knight Trilogy - the first movie is Batman Begins, so do you keep them together? Do you put it with B for Batman or D for Dark Knight? (Turn around and never return if you sort by ‘The’ :P )

What about movies like Rambo where the name of the franchise changes by the second movie? Do you put that under First Blood or Rambo? What about stuff with a prefix like Tom Clancy games, do you group Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon together? Or the big one - Star Wars - do you go Original Trilogy -> Prequels -> Sequels or Episode I - IX? Where do you put the various spinoffs?

zetax

Postby zetax » November 20th, 2020, 8:56 am

TheEagleXIII wrote:So for instance. The Harry Potter movies/books or Tomb Raider games, easy - those go in chronological order. I do the same with music too, albums are organised by artist, then release date. But what about, say, The Dark Knight Trilogy - the first movie is Batman Begins, so do you keep them together? Do you put it with B for Batman or D for Dark Knight? (Turn around and never return if you sort by ‘The’ :P )

My "Batman Begins" and "Dark Knight" movies are not together, because of alphabetical order, but I don't care for it...

TheEagleXIII wrote:Or the big one - Star Wars - do you go Original Trilogy -> Prequels -> Sequels or Episode I - IX? Where do you put the various spinoffs?

The "Star Wars" movies are in chronological order by when the were supposed to have taken place, i.e.: "Phantom Menace" is first, ep II, ep III, etc. Unfortunately, I stopped buying "Star Wars" movies after "Force Awakens", because...well...

I alphabetize musicians by last name first, but here's one that has given me pause over the years (there are several examples of this in my collection), bands named after a person. Example: "The Alan Parsons Project". If it were just "Alan Parsons", it'd be easy: "Parsons, Alan", but "Parsons Project, Alan" seems weird...but that's what I've been doing for 20 years since I've been ripping my CDs. Thoughts?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 21st, 2020, 12:07 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I've always been a highly organized person, keeping my CDs alphabetized and video games arranged by system. Not only do I like to be organizing but I love the ACT of organizing. Whenever we move or remodel, I love the opportunity to rearrange stuff.

I think a lot of collectors are like that, but I don't think that is the norm. I think we are outliers.

I hear a lot of people lament having stuff filling their shelves or having to hunt around for a disc or whatever. They want everything on their hard drive for convenience. Are you one of those people?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I envy you your powers.

I'm chaos. At any given moment, I have no idea where anything is. Whatever Harry Potter magic allows you to see a proper place for everything? It's all an unseen energy to my eyes.

It might as well be The Force.

Don't get me wrong - that works out great when it comes to not putting people in boxes. But not so much when I can't seem to put things in boxes, either.

It's why digital libraries have been a godsend for me - less clutter, and an unexpected feeling of contentment when looking over my collections.

Except for the obvious holes in them, that can somehow still taunt me the same way as they do every other collector.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 21st, 2020, 1:43 pm

When it comes to movies, do you organize by type of VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, etc then alphabetically?

Or do you organize by alpha across media type?

The reason being to keep the shelves looking nicer.

I started to organize by genre to make it a bit easier as well, kids, comic book, etc.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » November 21st, 2020, 7:00 pm

I have ADHD and I have a complete lack of organizational skills haha.

Return to “Other Media”